My "Mini Bookshelf" LM386 Speaker!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi,

Quite frankly I don't care what you think. What I posted was a suggestion.
If interest is piqued and further playing around elucidated then so be it.
If not, so what, there is always a next time. Your being negative, not me.

rgds, sreten.

Hi Sreten I thought it was a very useful suggestion :) Even if the OP doesn't consider it, someone else thinking of doing something similar may well. I was thinking about doing a small set of computer speakers for my 3 1/2 yo daughter, and I will take your suggestion into consideration if/when I do!

Tony.

One of the biggest lessons learned here is that speaker efficiency is critical to getting performance from this circuit.
A secondary learning benefit is exactly what the thread opener has told us. So much can be learned from very simple and low cost projects.
I suggest there is at least one more lesson to be learned.
That swapping component values costs almost nothing extra and can have a profound effect on the final sound quality. No matter how cheap the project there is no point in condemning it to "rubbish quality" because no one else would do it better. It can be done better, It should be the aspiration of the "builder" to do the best he/she can achieve. Part of that achievement is learning to recognise what is worth changing.

Hi Sreten I thought it was a very useful suggestion :) Even if the OP doesn't consider it, someone else thinking of doing something similar may well. I was thinking about doing a small set of computer speakers for my 3 1/2 yo daughter, and I will take your suggestion into consideration if/when I do!

Tony.

I WOULD have considered it if I hadn't already given it away, and my design already soldered up. I guess I was too late...

Let me clarify that I was only opposed because of the timing, that it's already finished. For less than the cost of a couple lunches it could have a different amp chip, or bigger battery pack w/higher voltage and capacity, or driver, misc feedback loops for guitar use, aux inputs, custom enclosure mated to speaker parameters and/or dampening, shielding, etc, etc, etc. Picking one tweak that takes significant time at this point seemed arbitrary and takes away from time that could be spent on the next project.

John,

Just out of curiosity...what more modern chips do you use (that can be powered off batteries)?

If I ever get an electric guitar, I'd really like to build myself a small amp...TDA2003?

Sorry to take so long. I don't get around here often. Here are some chip amps tested at a regulated 9 volt supply using a non inductive 4 and 8 ohm load. Using a sine wave signal, the amps were tested at max possible clean power (just before clipping). Yes the chips have different purposes, but shows how you can get better output with different chips and lower load impedance. (don't use the 386 on 4 Ohm loads).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.