Negative feedback question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The more I think about, the more confused I am getting about the NFB resistor.

In my IGC, it is running from 3 to 8, or, from the speaker out to the signal in.

Why is this "negative" feedback? On the surface it seems like it would be positive feedback and start a vicious cycle.

I searched, but there are so many references to NFB that I was unable to find this question.

In the hopes that I am not the absolute last person to understand this, could someone please explain to me and the others who may be suffering in silent ignorance?

What is the concept/purpose of the NFB resistor?

Thanks,

GnD

It's negative feedback because your gainclone is an inverting amp (the output voltage is in the opposite phase compared to the input voltage. Example: if input=1V, out=-23V (because gain=23)

So, a part of the output goes thru the feedback resistor, and comes in the -in, in the opposite phase, and this way it cancels the input a little

I'll invoke the memory of Mimi DiPietro in Grahams honor.

For an inverting amp, the feedback is taken from the output to the same input as the input signal, i.e., to the inverting input.

For a noninverting amp, the feedback is taken from the output to the other input than the input signal is fed to, i.e., to the inverting input.

Note the pattern.

feedback

To simplify it : positive feedback increases the amplification,this can lead to oscillation,negative feedback decreases amplification.
The amp doesn't need an inverting input necessarily, inverting the phase can be achieved by a phase shifter network.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
GrahamnDodder said:

On the surface it seems like it would be positive feedback...
The “inverting” in the name of the inverting input terminal (– terminal) of op amps implies that, when the input signal drives the inverting input, we get the inverting voltage at the output. In comparison, the input signal to the “non-inverting” terminal means non-inverting voltage at the output. The op amps are typified to do this work.

:yinyang:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.