So really, how hard is it to build a gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have to say that I am from the electronics side of things so I'm a bit biased...But anyway...

Most gainclones are built with what is called P2P or Point to point wiring. This is instead of using a circuit board. A couple of advantages are that it is quicker and supposed to sound better. It is difficult to make / get a circuit board - especially if you are on a learning curve! :confused: However, once you get hold of a circuit board, you'll find it easier to mount in a case and quicker to assemble (it's finding a board that's the hard part! ;) )

Now, as for the assembly (assuming Point 2 Point wiring)...As long as you can follow simple schematics and can count the number of pins from the left hand side of a chip, there really isn't anything much to it. It is more fiddily than difficult. What I would say is that you need to practice a bit of soldering before jumping into any project - esp. P2P wiring! ;)

Also, I would suggest using the LM3785T. Firstly, most people use that LM3785 or LM3785T. The "T" signifies that the package is insulated so you can mount it directly to your heatsink without a worry about shorts etc. More people can help you then if you get :confused:. Finally, If you think this is too costly or difficult - don't attempt any other amps other than a ready gathered kit...The gainclones are the best place to start! ;)

Good luck,
Gaz

Hi
Well your in the right place to start with :)

If you can not solder your better of to practice on scrap circuit boards.

You have several choices...Nuuk has one of the most paint by number sites around

http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/gainclone.html

OR you could seek one of the many kits that are available.

I bet you will find the case the hardest part :)

Peter

So, are you a Gopher???? I may be able to supply you with some samples. I am expecting the MUR860 diodes, I should have 16 extra and already have the LM3875. (I can spare you 2 or 3). Let me know if you are interested. I am gathering parts for myself at this point. I am currently trying to get the Elna rep to see if he can scrounge up some Silmic caps.

David

I bought the kits based on LM1875's (miniclones) from KitsRUs.Com

They don't sell direct, but have links to many worldwide distributers of their kits.

It's Kit50, and is reasonably easy to build, so don't expect any support for it. I emailed several addreses listed on the site regarding the cheesy heat sink insulator and never got a response. Luckily I figured out the answer on my own.;

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.