Questions on gainclone powering a sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking into building an 8 in subwoofer and planning to use a gainclone to power it. The sub is dual 8 ohm voice coil so I was thinking of using one power supply and 2 - LM3875, one per coil. Since this is for a subwoofer, is there anything I need to do extra? I think I will need to add a lpf but what else? Thanks.

hehe. I already looked into the Linkwitz Transform and the elf system, but I am trying to keep cost down. The power supply for the amp would be powering the chip at someting like +- 24v but the linkwitz circuitry will require something like +-15v so I will be needing another power supply right? Also it will require more power thus reducing the driver efficiency.

My sub is tune to 28Hz and seems to have flat frequency response up to about 30hz which is good enough for me. Making an 8in sub going lower seems kinda pushing it too much. I don't know that much though, someone else care to comment?

Look into discount or surplus electronic stores where you live. Theres one by my house that has bins full of old "wall warts" and notebook power supplys for cheap. It's 15V, but 250mA should be plenty I would think.

I wonder if it could run off the more common 12V power supplies.

I only suggested the linkwitz and ELF because I wanted to make mine very compact.

Hmm...but dont you need like 4x the power to drive the sub though? I skimmed through the Elf article and the author says that say if you normally run at 100watts then with the elf you would need 400watts to have the same volume. I am not sure the gainclone will be able to power the sub.

Yes thats why im going with the Linkwitz...plus I'm only looking for extension down to like 40 or 50 Hz....Plus I don't really listen to alot of bass...I just use it accent the 98% of the frequencies.

But yes your right...a birdgeclones on a DVC driver would be great for ELF.....Bob Carver eat your sub out!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.