Philips receiver FR 931

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Problem whit surround speakers (they do not hear anything, no output sound). must to connect all the speakers(center and surround speakers ) to activate the surround mode ? the speakers must be with a certain impedance ? Can anyone help me with a service manual? thank you very much!

I Use a FR951 in my no frills easy listening system. You have to activate surround mode by pressing a button. It is only pro logic though, which is analogue and encoded in a rather crude way in the stereo signal. That probably explains why you do not hear anything other than stereo when you play ac3 or dts surround media. I put up the pdf I have of the FR951. Not sure if that helps, but there you go.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2452213230/fr951_00s_dfu_eng.pdf

1550ynn.jpg

thanks for the feedback ...I tested with four speakers without center (I do not have one yet), with pro logic activated... and nothing! perhaps because the center speaker is not coupled do not hear anything on the other in surround mode? a kind of protection for the receiver?

Did you push the button for speaker group b? It happens a lot with these babies that the contacts in the section containing the surround button and tone controls wear out, in that case you need a screwdriver and some spray. Don't worry, it is self explanatory once you remove the lid. If that still won't work you could also check for any broken wiring surrounding the tone control section.

I found some error solving descriptions at PHILIPS AUDIO service bulletins 25, at the end of the page. Also dutchaudioclassics.nl - Information, specifications, photos and service manuals of Philips & Marantz cd players used to have pretty good shots of the inside of FR951. I don't get them on my screen now, but that could be temporary or some anal firewall setting. To bad I never saved those. You'll need a torx bit to open the receiver. I think you may need to change some caps, it is not uncommon that these go bad after 20 plus years of service. The a/b switch is mechanical so that should be a straightforward fix. I'd say open the sucker and get out the multimeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.