New amp suggestion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im pretty new to these forums, so go easy on me :)

Basically i just finished making my new speakers, and ive now realised that my ht amp is really bad for music and cant really power these speakers properly.

So i need some suggestions on a 2channel amp that i could construct. The speakers ive made can take upto about 200rms into them, so i guess a pretty powerful amp would be needed to stop it from clipping at loud volume ?

Im fairly good with soldering etc so construction should be too hard, im just not too good on the theory or planning side of the amp.

I had 5 LM4651's lying around in my workshop somewhere, and i was wondering if they could be incorperated into the amp.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4651.html

Thanks
postman

Getting stuff from national is no problem, done it a few times before for other components.

Ive heard these gainclones are pretty good, but somewhere in that thread it said something about 10wattsrms only, would that be sufficient to be able to drive my speakers rather loudly and not ruin/clip the amp ?

postman said:
Ive heard these gainclones are pretty good, but somewhere in that thread it said something about 10wattsrms only /B]

Nahhhh. Well, it depends on how many volts you supply them with really. The other day on an LM3875 I measured a shade over 44 watts into 8 ohms with power supply rails of +/- 28 volts under load. National rate them as 56 watts but I think this is at +/- 33 volts or so.

You will probably find the difference between say 50 and 200 watts not as big as you expect. You can hear it, but it's not a super-big deal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.