Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i`m build a gain clone.

to be specific, i`m building the inverting GC design originally done by Thorsten.

IGC

i`m going to build a dual mono design with 2 nuvotem-talema toroidals. they are 225va. since i`m running a 5R load. i intend to run it off 18-0-18vac. i don`t need lotsa raw power since i`m running 96dB/w drivers.

the main power supply caps would be Elna`s that were made for Onkyo Systems. they are labeled Onkyo Integra. its 10,000uf @ 50v. i intend to bypass with 100uF Elna Silmics.

do i need to dump in two more 0.1uF caps alongside the power rails?

if so,

i intend to use Silver Mica. is this a good choice?

Thank You in advance

REGARDS

Konnichiwa,

hacknet said:

to be specific, i`m building the inverting GC design originally done by Thorsten.

IGC

Ahhm, please note later redactions. After much tooing and frooing I now suggest the following:

Feedback Resistor 330k in all version.

Input resistor 10k & 100k Linear Law Pot for "Integrated Amp".

Preferred Pot types are Cermet from Vishay/Sfernice or ANY Carbon track ones, but preferably old hotmolded AB, Copal etc. - choose to taste, Cermet "precise" and "clean" and "neutral" while Carbon "musical" and "warm" and "romantic" (read a little fuzzy in a nice way).

Input resistor 15k, 18k from input to ground (across the RCA).

Either versions will normally be stable under all (most) conditions (integrated Amp not with open input and volume near max!!!!) of normal use. Also, it should not be subject to the audible problems remarked upon with the "brutal force stability" 22k resistor from the inverting input to ground.

The Resistor in the output and the RC on the non-inverting input are "optional" and where originally added to make the circuit more tolerant of "out of spec" IC's and (highly) capacitive Speaker Cables.

hacknet said:

the main power supply caps would be Elna`s that were made for Onkyo Systems. they are labeled Onkyo Integra. its 10,000uf @ 50v. i intend to bypass with 100uF Elna Silmics.

Too much capacitance or not enough VA in the transformer!!!!

Leave the 10,000uF Cap's out in the initial wireup.

You can add them later (IF you must) with added leads paralleled to 1,000uF Silmics. For bypassing it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to place the physically and electrically smallest capacitor in the shortest current loop anyway. Whenever I see a HUGE pysical side cap bridged with smaller caps having very long leads in positions other than coupling capacitors (high impedance circuits) I despair!!!!

hacknet said:

do i need to dump in two more 0.1uF caps alongside the power rails?

One connecting +V & -V is not a bad idea.

hacknet said:

if so, i intend to use Silver Mica. is this a good choice?

Excellent choice, if a little wasted. BTW, WHERE ON EARTH do you find affordable 0.1uF Silver Mica's?

Sayonara

Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

Ahhm, please note later redactions. After much tooing and frooing I now suggest the following:

Feedback Resistor 330k in all version.

Input resistor 10k & 100k Linear Law Pot for "Integrated Amp".

Preferred Pot types are Cermet from Vishay/Sfernice or ANY Carbon track ones, but preferably old hotmolded AB, Copal etc. - choose to taste, Cermet "precise" and "clean" and "neutral" while Carbon "musical" and "warm" and "romantic" (read a little fuzzy in a nice way).

I have been very pleased with the modern Xicon log tapers from Mouser. By using a 250K stereo and connecting the two tracks together the result is a 125K mono pots that is quieter and much better tracking than stock. I think in quantities of 10 they run 1.89 each.

Excellent choice, if a little wasted. BTW, WHERE ON EARTH do you find affordable 0.1uF Silver Mica's?

Locally, they have 100v, 100,000 pfd Silver Mica's for 2.00. With the exchange rate, that should be around 1.25 GBP. But the lead material is steel. Here in the US most of the silver mica use magnetic leads. I take a magnet with me for all parts hunts.

George

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

hacknet said:
the 10% 0.1uf @ 100vdc is going for SGD$0.51 per piece.

the xchange rate from SGD to USD is 1.74...

it isn`t to bad wad... couple of cents

Are you sure that these are SILVER MICA? The price, tolerance and voltage rating sounds a lot more like ceramic. And ceramic is NOT recommended.

I still recommend the Epcos (formerly Siemens) naked chip, stacked film MKT/MKC Capacitors as they offer a very "ideal" capacitor with only around 9nH Parasitic Inductance (ESL) and << 0.1 Ohm ESR in the larger values. They go up to around 4u7/63V and are physically small.

For reference, the 9nH Inductance translate to around 1 Ohm impedance @ 20MHz, which is often good enough for digital decoupling on their own, no added bypass needed.

Sayonara

its silvered mica.

is silvered mica and silver mica the same?

if it is, i think we are talking about the same thing....:)

i found even cheaper ones. its 50vdc... its going for $0.28

the dielectric is X7 R. there is a word Kemet labed nearby, i remeber kemet having something to do with ceramic....

aren't silver-mica capacitors usually physically identifiable? i mean i've seen a lot that look well, identifiable!

and isn't silver-mica microphonic?

also, i think the 100nf caps are supposed to be located as physically close to the power IC (or opamp in case of pre-amp filtering) as possible. pretty sure caps with good high-frequency preformance are reccomended for this type of supply fitlering.

Konnichiwa,

hacknet said:

i have a spare 100k log pot lying around. can i use it or has it have to be a linear taper one?

You CAN use a log pot, but you will have failry little usable volume control range.

hacknet said:

is there any significance the the nature of the application?

You mean apart form the simple observation that linear track pots invariably sound better than their log counterparts and the usable volume control range? Apart from these, no.

Sayonara

Re: Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Konnichiwa,

hacknet said:

is the input resistor refering to the 10k in series with the 2.2uF cap or the pot?

Yes.

hacknet said:

what should the ideal value of the pot be?

No pot. The 18k+15k arrangement is for use as Power Amplifier (without Volume control). As integrated Amp (with Volume Control) use a 100k linear law Pot and a 10k Input resistor as directed.

Sayonara

Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Kuei Yang Wang said:

Hi!
Are theese something like the Vishay pots you are recommending?

http://international1.farnell.com/S...tml?_DARGS=/common/prodsearchform_inone.jhtml

Thanks.

Tor Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.