Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Konnichiwa,

Peter Daniel said:
Is 18k to ground really neccessary?

It prevents the Amplifier oscillating with the input open circuit.

As for the pots, using a 100k linear Pot, 10k Input and 330k feedback resistor remains stable too.

Lastly, please compare identical log and lin pots both set to the same split in resistance terms you may be surprised by the results. The linear pot was specified because it sounds better and in the circuit gives a reasonable range of adjustment. A classic log pot would have to be of 10k - 20k Impedance to work well and would sound notably worse.

Of course, some people like the sound of plastic trac pots and of log versions therof and associate it (correctly too) with "High End" sound. However to my ears it is not conductive to communicating music well, but I think the same of BG capacitors too. So in the end it's a matter of taste I suspect.

Sayonara

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Kuei Yang Wang said:

Of course, some people like the sound of plastic trac pots and of log versions therof and associate it (correctly too) with "High End" sound. However to my ears it is not conductive to communicating music well, but I think the same of BG capacitors too. So in the end it's a matter of taste I suspect.

Well, sometimes the plastic pot is the only practical choice, especially if you can't find detented cermet. I don't doubt that linear cermet would sound better, but I still didn't find a suitable one. As to 330k feedback resistor, it will produce different sonic presentation than 220k. Somebody might try it before making decision as it will vary with taste, probably.

I already know that BG are not ultimate coupling caps, and I don't use them at all for coupling (at home). My current choice is Siemens MKV and it outperforms any audiphile brands I was using so far (Hovland, MIT, Jensen, etc). In tweeter series network it is simply wonderful. No bypassing also, as this makes things worse (even with silver foil caps). I still wonder what would be better choice for 1000u PS caps? I don't suspect that Panasonic FC betters BG. I was always thinking about checking out Nichicon Muse KZ series, but somehow didn't get to it yet. My initial testing with Nichicon Gold series indicate that they are very "soft" sounding. Somebody mentioned Silmics?;)

Nuuk said:

I like the Welwyn RC55s which are not too expensive. The RC55Cs are even cheaper and I can't hear any difference. I prefer to double up for the feedback resistor.

I should give these a try - and for the output ? these are low wattage
Also how about smd's ?

The pot I used was Meggit dual lin 47k - it doesn't get any cheaper than that..
Farnell code: 247662

Thorsten recommends changing the original 220K feedback resistor to 330K. The input resistor remains at 10K. I still prefer to use a wire on the non-inverting input to ground and no connection to ground from the inverting input.

will try

Just another thought Stelios. One strand of Cat 5 may not be enough. Have you tried other speaker cables? Or even two strands of Cat 5?

Originally we used some standard loudspeaker cables, multi strand type, quite heavy - can't remember if they were monster or mogami.
Then tried single strand and thought it sounded slightly cleaner.

regards

Stelios

peranders said:
stelios, why do you have 0.2 ohms at the output? Isn't it better to use a L//R combination, lowering the output impedance and increasing the damping factor?

peranders,

only included it to be safe - I think the original reason was to prevent oscillation.

to be honest with you, I don't know - I was just followin a recipe after convincing myself it wasn't totally unreasonable. But didn't really do any of the maths :)

would you suggest using an inductor ? most people have nothing at the output and that would be my next step..

stelios said:
would you suggest using an inductor ? most people have nothing at the output and that would be my next step..
If you don't have any problems with oscillations why include it? I think this oscillation cure is rather brutal.

The datasheet suggests L//R. The series resistor is used when you connect the IC's in parallel and in bridge connection you must have these resistors otherwise currents will flow between the IC's.

peranders said:
Normal values are 0.5-2 uH plus 1-10 ohms. The datasheet suggests 0.7 uH and 10 ohms. I think this is a good start.

0.7 uH is 15-20 turns, diam 10 mm, around the resistor. Use 1-1.5 mm copper wire.

ok, perhaps I'll try it to see what happens.

I don't really know if there are oscillations - never connected the o/p to an oscilloscope. However I will do on my next pair.

Thanks

S

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Peter Daniel said:

I already know that BG are not ultimate coupling caps, and I don't use them at all for coupling (at home). My current choice is Siemens MKV and it outperforms any audiphile brands I was using so far (Hovland, MIT, Jensen, etc).

What value of MKV do you use for coupling !? Try to use two BG N's (4.7 uF, 50V) anti-parallel. This sounds IMHO much better than a single one. The sound is more direct and less harsh...

Fedde

I use 3.3u MKV at the DAC's output. I found them better than MIT RTX in parallel with 0.22 silver foil bypass (which was definitely better than a single BG N). Those MKV caps are particularly good in tweeter crossovers. I used them in 3 systems and simply couldn't find a better choice. The trebles are very natural and detailed without any artificial residue added by some other caps (I tried Hovlands, MIT, Jensens, Wondercaps and some other less exotic brands).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Peter Daniel said:

I already know that BG are not ultimate coupling caps, and I don't use them at all for coupling (at home). My current choice is Siemens MKV and it outperforms any audiphile brands I was using so far (Hovland, MIT, Jensen, etc). In tweeter series network it is simply wonderful. No bypassing also, as this makes things worse (even with silver foil caps). I still wonder what would be better choice for 1000u PS caps? I don't suspect that Panasonic FC betters BG. I was always thinking about checking out Nichicon Muse KZ series, but somehow didn't get to it yet. My initial testing with Nichicon Gold series indicate that they are very "soft" sounding. Somebody mentioned Silmics?;)

Peter,

Might be worthh checking if Jensen make 4 pole electro's
to suit GC app. I have used them in tube stuff and they
sound great. They were not harsh and over detailed
like BG but still very nice, clean and natural sounding.

Cheers,

Terry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Mica de-coupling caps

Terry Demol said:

Peter,

Might be worthh checking if Jensen make 4 pole electro's
to suit GC app. I have used them in tube stuff and they
sound great. They were not harsh and over detailed
like BG but still very nice, clean and natural sounding.

I have some Jensens 4 pole electrolytics, but they are 10,000u, not suitable for GC. I tried to attached them once to 1000u's BG I'm using currently but the I didn't like the change.

I'm also using 1000/50 BG type N caps (in my personal amp). They are listed at $80 a pc. They are also very different from standard version. Much more laid back, more refined and with better detail. Need also more time to break in, but seem to be sounding pretty good. Those supposed to be the best PS caps around;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.