My new baby

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's not a gainclone, but it is a chip amp, so I am posting here. It is a CMoy headphone amp, built around the Burr-Brown 2132 opamp. (The 3875-based) gainclone is already underway....

Way beneath most of you guys. But it is the first amp I ever built, so I thought it deserved a decent DIY'd case.

Alas, a tree had to die. I used a small board of red oak, cut into three pieces. The first two had a space cut out with a drill and jigsaw, then I glued them together for the box look.

Still had to shave the middle piece down to get about 1/8" wall for mounting the Pansonic pot and the LED. Used a Dremel for that.

I love the sound, even though I have heard the better-rated META42 design I am recasing in an old cigar box. (Maybe it sounds better because I built it...) That project is on hold, however, as I have the bug bad enuf now to be doing a GainClone.

I finished this a month ago, but had been waiting for the next incoming Digikey order for a better nob. The tiny one I had just didn't look right.

There is some sloppiness inside (and some outside!) so please be gentle with the comments....

Thanks to all for your ongoing help!

GnD

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 3,061
Drop the humility for this one. Class act! I think your suggestion for laminating multiple pieces of solid hardwood will make it into a future project of mine, even if the results aren't as good for me. I completely agree with Netlist in his comments.

Look forward to seeing your next project. And given your credentials, let the creativity loose and the pics fly. That alone is a valuable resource for both existing and aspiring DIY'ers.

I have an idea for a screwless chassis myself, but it is sure not to be realized for many, many months, due to work and home projects abounding.

A+ for effort and execution, Graham!

Sandy.

Sandy-

I don't hold a candle to most of you guys, electronics-wise. But I am an enthusiastic (and hopefully fast) learner.

However, I have always been ready to think outside the box. That is the fun part, IMO.

To that end, I think I have a decent idea for a cheap, electrically sound solution for mouting my opamps in the IGC I am building.

What do you think of the idea in Post #19 in the linked thread?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18743

I just built my MUR860 bridge like that, and it looks like a phone line switching station from the 1930's!

GnD

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A clever idea, but there are some possible problems.

Heat doesn't transfer well between two pieces if they aren't in perfect contact, which they never are. At the least, put heatsink grease between each washer. scrape them with a sandpaper block to flatten them wher they touch

Also steel is a poor conductor of heat compared to aluminum or copper. Now copper or brass washers soldered together-that might work!

After discussing copper tubes as heatsinks with Peter, I looked in the 1 1/2" copper waste pipe fittings bins at Home Depot.

Lots of possibilities there....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.