Help a newbie build his first amp (powercaps for a 2024)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I have spent the last 3 weeks searching the internet and the last week searching the forums looking for what power capacitor would be best for my first build. I have found many a good things to read and have a head full of ideas for my next build but for now I just need a simple answer so I can get it started. I have picked up a cheap tripath 2024 based board and have decided to upgrade a few things. No board mounted jacks, pots, plugs. Put it in a nice case with good connectors. Upgrade the filter caps to Jantzen 2.2uF 400V Crosscap Capacitors. The last piece of the pie is the power cap/caps. From what I have seen upgrading this is one of the basic important mods. The more I read the more confused I am. I have lots of room in my case and I figured I would have to mount it off the board anyway. So can some one tell me please what size and or rating would be the best to go buy?

Attachments

• 2024.jpg
    2024.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 128
not sure if it will improve a lot.
these amp chips are 15 watt rated, it will not draw huge currents.
You can experiment a bit, You can wire a set of larger elco caps to Your powersupply.
But it may not do anything You could hear at all.

Probably a strudy powersupply would be a better choice. Say, build a regulated supply for the amplifier, that might give You some extra performance.

I em not an expert whit these chips. The input caps You use seem proper, maybe You could check the actual board vs the datasheet application circuit to see if nothing is "missing".

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if my first post would get any response. I think the upgrade is more for security and quality than sound. I forgot to mention that i am using a 2amp 12v power supply. Here is the one i ordered.
12 Volt DC - 2 Amp Power Supply

I was inspired by these two projects but after reading them countless times I am confused. the pics don't match what is written in some places and I just want to be safe
Class D Stereo Amplifier-The Chairman Mao
Let's Build a Class D Amplifier!
I am trying to keep it real simple as I don't have a clue what i am doing (trying to learn as i go). I will look over the data sheets to see if i can find more information but they are like reading Chinese to me! Why did he replace them if the stock ones are okay?

as for power supply decouple caps..
There is an advantage of having more, supposedly psu supply ripple get smoother.
But, as size grows, the effect is less and less noticeable, whit at startup the powersupply gets more and more stressed. it became a marketing tool to use bucket size caps, ensuring sonic quality unheard. actualy that is true, it may stay unheard.
input capacitors do play an important role, elco caps are realy not advised there. first of all, they are polarised. unlike the signal. secund, they change value as they get older, in some cases stereo amps may develop different rolloff on the low side for this reason. (in theory it can happen)
a nice film cap on the input side, anything close to 1 nf or higher will be more than good.
I agree with that.
220 uf as supply capacitor, wellthat may be a bit low. I might agree with that too.

datasheets usualy have components listed for application circuits that keep everything within specification, one can use different values or remove/add components to get a better design.
But that is actualy achieved only if one knows what is he doing.
A good example for amplifiers is the parts at the output. (for class D things are a bit different, but this is jst an example) one may remove the zobel network, as every component not needed strictly is an unneeded one, therefore as one theory goes it is just another source of noise. ont he otherhand, the product may become unstable.

similar reasons lead people to change values found in datasheets, and that is why sometimes the results are not like they are expected to be. The datasheet of this particular IC has a schematic of proper application. compare your build with it to see if there is any ifference, and post it. maybe there are things that can improove the quality or improove the long term life of the amp.
not sure, as i told, i em not familiar with these chips.

Ok, so I have spent the last 3 weeks searching the internet and the last week searching the forums looking for what power capacitor would be best for my first build. I have found many a good things to read and have a head full of ideas for my next build but for now I just need a simple answer so I can get it started. I have picked up a cheap tripath 2024 based board and have decided to upgrade a few things. No board mounted jacks, pots, plugs. Put it in a nice case with good connectors. Upgrade the filter caps to Jantzen 2.2uF 400V Crosscap Capacitors. The last piece of the pie is the power cap/caps. From what I have seen upgrading this is one of the basic important mods. The more I read the more confused I am. I have lots of room in my case and I figured I would have to mount it off the board anyway. So can some one tell me please what size and or rating would be the best to go buy?

I actually have all 3 different t-amps solder by Arjen Helder. I believe you have the cheapest model. His t-amps and in stock form they all sound excellent to my ear without obvious audiable difference on my diy fullrange.

I have managed to add potentiometer and RCA selector on his amp and made a video:

YouTube - t-amp clone with volume/RCA selector

I will be following your mod and see if u noted any change. I think your topic probably should be under amp D, rather than chipamp.

gychang

gychang, Thanks for the input. Maybe i should just give it a try with out the power cap mod. It just seemed like a quick, cheap and easy mod. But after all I have looked at and read all I know is "bigger will work". I don't know why or how much bigger or what the limitations are. I haven't found actual values. Still lots to learn I guess. I just want to get the thing built. I know my next one will have many changes.

I have seen your video while looking for information on this chip. Nice work! I am ordering speakers as i am not ready to go down the road of building my own yet. Some day i hope.

I did notice i put the post in the wrong topic AFTER I finished sending it (rookie move). I ended up posting over in the D Amp too. funny thing is i have not received a single reply.

gychang, Thanks for the input. Maybe i should just give it a try with out the power cap mod. It just seemed like a quick, cheap and easy mod. But after all I have looked at and read all I know is "bigger will work". I don't know why or how much bigger or what the limitations are. I haven't found actual values. Still lots to learn I guess. I just want to get the thing built. I know my next one will have many changes.

I have seen your video while looking for information on this chip. Nice work! I am ordering speakers as i am not ready to go down the road of building my own yet. Some day i hope.

I did notice i put the post in the wrong topic AFTER I finished sending it (rookie move). I ended up posting over in the D Amp too. funny thing is i have not received a single reply.

Being a newbie on the electronics side I will follow along since I am also curious as to know if u notice any difference. gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.