Need amp advice for 15W horn speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2011, 05:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need amp advice for 15W horn speaker

Hi馳a all.
I知 working on a project here and am looking forward to some advise.
I知 planning to build a basic amp that値l be able to drive a 15W 8ohm horn loudspeaker. Frequency response of the speaker is 200Hz 15kHz. The amp can stay at full output power, so I don稚 think it needs a volume control. Needs to drive 1 speaker only. Also, this is a portable device and will be powered by 10V 12V battery. I may need a preamp too, but I think I have options to deal with that.
So, what do you suggest I look at? Some amps I致e looked at and considered are the TDA2030 and the TDA1554.
Old 10th May 2011, 05:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Coach,

I just assembled a small amp with this kit:
TDA7377 Car Amplifier kit /DIY - eBay, Parts Accessories, Amplifiers, Home Audio, Consumer Electronics. (Eindtijd 01-jun-11 15:52:48 CEST)
Granted, it's a stereo amp, but I'm powering two horn loaded 4" speakers with it for outdoor use and it works like a charm.

Regards, Jan.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

tda1557q is one choice to make. pretty easy project.
similar to tda1554, but it is a stereo chip, BTL config.
btw, they are identical when 1554 is set to BTL mode.
1557 is just even less complicated to make, you need no pcb for it at all. 6 caps and the chip.
Old 21st May 2011, 04:35 PM   #4
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

12V battery power will give a maximum of 4Vac to your 8ohm load. That is equivalent to 2W into 8r0 or 4W into 4r0.

If you build a pair of single ended amplifiers each delivering 4Vac to your 8r0 load using a bridging circuit, expect ~8W into 8r0.
Using the sensitivity of your horn speaker you can check the maximum volume and the average volume @ your audience.

Hide this!Advertise here!