help with a Chu-Moy kit design modification - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2011, 10:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help with a Chu-Moy kit design modification

a friend of mine sent me a few of this kit
Shop — Catalog Products — Audiophile Headphone Amplifier - Banzai CMOY V2 Audiophile DIY Kit | Electric Sumo

I was hoping to get some help converting it from dual 9volt to use a dc to dc upstep I already have Pololu - Pololu Adjustable Boost Regulator 4-25V

I have read a stack of cmoy guides and power supply guides and honestly, it just makes my head hurt.

I would like to at least TRY running the cmoy off one of those upsteps and either 4 or 8 AA batts

I already have the AA holders and AA batteries, just not sure how to change it from 2x9v to a signal higher volt power source.

thanks for any help you can give me
Old 1st May 2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Banned

You can run the cmoy with a virtual ground, that is to say you connect 2 identical resistors (4k7) in series across the supply and use the centre point as ground. Connect 2 220uF caps from the 'ground' to the positive and negative rails. See here for a diagram (second thumbnail in post 1):- cmoy improved?

Alternately you can connect the batteries (8 AAs) in a stack and use the centre point as ground. This is what I'd do, and forget the DC-DC. It'll work fine with 6V-6V, some people only use a single 9V battery (4.5V-4.5V). If you read the whole of that thread you'll find various arguments against each of these approaches.

w
Old 1st May 2011, 12:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks, and the main issue is from what i have read, the opamp i want to use seems to only work at its best when you can give it 14-16volts, the design stuff is what confuses me, gonna look over that thread and see if i can figuar out what to do, im not sure if the design of the kit im going to be using uses a virtual ground or what.

Hide this!Advertise here!