12V LM1875 circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oops - now that I look at the data sheet, 12v single ended is not possible. I was mislead by seeing references to 12V LM1875 circuits.

Perhaps I can back up and describe my need: I'm hoping for a significant audio upgrade to the existing LM-380 in the af output stage of a radio. I built a circuit with discreet components that sounded good through headphones but couldn't drive a small speaker adequately. I figure 2-5 watts into 4/8 ohms would be enough. I'm more interested in quality than quantity.

If anyone has suggestions for a great sounding chip amp or discreet amp circuit for single ended 12V supply that would deliver 2-5 watts, I'd appreciate it.

Use the TDA2040. The the bias comes on at 5 volts (+/- 2.5) so they will work fine at 12 volts. With the samples I have, the chip came on at 3 volts, as did the 2050. The LM1875 came on at 9 volts, so that's cutting it close if on battery power.

Listening tests and differentiating the output signal with the input shows no distortion when operating at low voltage (as long as you don't clip).

To get 5 clean watts with a 12 volt supply on a single ended amp, you need to go below 4 ohm loads.

Use the TDA2003. It has an optimized output swing for lower voltages.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.