i ripped off pedja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i bet he didn't wire his volume pot up backwards though.

i plugged my guitar straight into it and sound actually came out. didnt sound bad either. just really quiet.
if i use my digitech guitar modeler thing as a pre its hum pretty loud. :(
needs blocking cap?

oh yeah, i was testing it with a 4ohm speaker and it started turning itself off cos of heat after a while -will it heat up less when its driving 8ohms?

Hello Travis,

Glad to see this.

As I mentioned before, the “original” ;) amp heats more than I’d like (and I like it completely cool), but during these 5 months thermal protection have never started to work.

If everything is okay thermally while the amp is in idle, try adding more aluminum and provide some air circulation, should be enough. Again, the whole situation shouldn’t be so critical… As I see your “heatsink” is thinner, but you have only one chip inside. What is your PSU voltage?

Higher impedance speaker will draw less current with the given voltage, but sensitivity of the speaker is here more important.

Pedja

Pedja said:
Hello Travis,

Glad to see this.

As I mentioned before, the “original” ;) amp heats more than I’d like (and I like it completely cool), but during these 5 months thermal protection have never started to work.

If everything is okay thermally while the amp is in idle, try adding more aluminum and provide some air circulation, should be enough. Again, the whole situation shouldn’t be so critical… As I see your “heatsink” is thinner, but you have only one chip inside. What is your PSU voltage?

Higher impedance speaker will draw less current with the given voltage, but sensitivity of the speaker is here more important.

Pedja
its not even warm while idle.

35.3VDC

i have air slots on the bottom. i'm going to cut some in the top as soon as i think of a cool looking design or something.

my speaker's spec sheet says: Sensitivity@1W,1m 97.4dB

i've been testing it into a car subwoofer that isn't in a box. i hope its louder when i'm using a real speaker in a real enclosure.

it doesn't really shut down like i said in first post. it starts making ugly "please stop doing this to me" noises

Variac said:
If the top disk is separate, it could be spaced a few millimeters above to create a crack around the perimeter. That would create a lot of vent space. Perhaps some bolts from bottom plate to top, with nuts on each side to adjust amount of opening.
Great idea!
To give the air more possibility to circulate.
and this factor is IMPORTANT.

Because even the largest heatsink
won't cool of much without air-circulation.
And I mean air circulating from outside of encloser
not circulation within the box.

halo - circulates at diyAudio.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.