Need help with charging system for battery powered Gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I just picked up 4 12v 7mA/h for $7 each at Tanner's in Dallas (heck of a bargain but he doesn't ship).

I have always wanted to cobble together a battery powered gainclone but one thing has stumped me. I want to build it where when I throw one switch it turns off the amp and starts charging the batteries.

Has anyone seen something like this built and know where I might find a wiring diagram on how this might be achieved? I have a few ideas but it requires a few switches to get the job done.

I bought a nice little floating trickle charger I thought I might be able to use for this.

Please let me know if you've seen this done or have any good ideas on how to make the charging system work like I've described.
Thanks,
Jeff

yes, i did make a similar design.
I used a premade battery charger with overcharge protection.
I used a set of relays to connect the batteries when the amp is off in paralell, then to the charger, and turn the charger on.
When the amp was on, the charger got disconnected from the batteries, and the batteries have been connected in series to get the voltage i need.
Last relay got connected to the series connect batteries, this turned on the amplifier it self.
It would only turn it on if there was at least 24 volts of total supply voltage.

I've used a CTEK 3300 smart charger (lead acid batteries, sealed LA, Absorbed Glass Matt LA) with a 12V chip amp (TA2024) and lead-acid battery for a while. The CTEK is a bit expensive (around $60~80) but works very well, even with it in-circuit the amp sounds fine. I had planned to use it just for test purposes so didn't bother switching it in/out, but was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Ripple on the 3300 is spec'd at > 100 mV. Made in Sweden.
http://smartercharger.com/

A simple off (no power) /standby (charge) /on (battery only) switch would not be too tough to figure out.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.