What Type is the best sounded monolithic IC Amp ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What Type is the best sounded monolithic IC Amp ??

There are an extremly wide range of monolithic integrated circuits for audio power in the meantime, that contains internal mostly a LTP, VAS with vbe multiplier and power buffer in darlington or Sziklai-darlington configuration, sometimes also a totem pole MOSFET stage.
What IC-type is to prefer (only from the audible view) for full range applications and for tweeter amp in multi amping systems?
And a second question:
Are there IC's with internal topologies according the mentioned kinds listed about
URL collection of Totem Pole and CSPP (Single Ended related) Solid State Output Stage
(except http://www.amplimos.it/images/N-CH1.JPG - this is similar to the topology from TDA7293/TDA7294) ??
Thank you for your advices.

Very interesting are ICs with internal topoloies like this one:
Chip Amp based on the topologies from Yamaha MX-10000 and Quad 405

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 17th April 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 19th April 2011, 01:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

National Semi Overture Series (LM3886, LM4780) are widely regarded as very good sounding chips.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:46 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Judging by the numbers of reports we see that claim improved performance from "their" implementation and supported by the number of reports we see of "not working properly", it seems it is down to the way the chipamps are assembled. PCB design, Grounding design, PSU design, all seem far more important than the actual IC.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree, the cat's already gone !
Old 19th April 2011, 10:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah also true. Chip amps do have distinct audio profiles, but like many other electronics, it's more about the schematic and the layout/implementation.

The most feature rich and easy to use I would say have to go to the Overtures. Though the TDAs are equally as easy under most conditions.

I've used premade boards off of primary eBay. Maybe you should look into that. Jim's Audio, I wanne buy, and some other chinese sellers do make good boards. I wouldn't buy their semiconductors or capacitors, but the boards are good.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

LM1875 in my opinion, where it comes to the National chips. And My rev C for LM3875.

Last edited by digits; 19th April 2011 at 10:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!