TDA2030 "protection diodes"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build an amp with some TDA2030 chips and I'm wondering if the "protection diodes" are really needed. According to the datasheet, they're there to protect against "output voltage spikes" but all the other TDA20xx series chips don't seen to require them. Are they really necessary or can I simply do without them?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Are you using the chip alone or as a driver for discreet devices (TDA2030A)?

What is your supply voltage? As a driver, or when using the chip at higher voltages, I'd add the diodes.

I'd also select the TDA2050 or LM1875 because they allow for higher output currents which means you can use higher Vs when used alone for more Po. They don't need the diodes as they are internal.

No you can eliminate the diodes if you have a bunch of TDA2030s spare.

All the diodes do is 'catch' any reactive output - i.e. it clamps the voltage swing possible at the amps output to the supply rails + (or -) about 0.7v, to protect the TDA2030 output stage. Overkill, really, but for the cost of two diodes very cheap insurance. They do not affect the amps measured or perceived performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.