Low pass filter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2003, 10:31 AM   #1
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Low pass filter

Hi,

I'm building a new GC with a pre stage (buf634 and OPA627 a la Carlos) and would like to include the low pass filter as suggested by Rassmusen.
Should I locate the LPF attached to the very chip? I'm planning the inverted Thorsten one, but because now will be buffered and the pot (10K) will be at the input of the OPA I don't know which the values for the filter will be.
Will be ok with the following values?
Attached Images
File Type: gif zgcopa627.gif (5.1 KB, 1711 views)
Old 7th August 2003, 12:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

.....why include the buf634.....?
Old 7th August 2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Banned

The BUF634 makes sense on a standalone pre.
You can drive your power amps meters away from the pre with no problems.
Raka, the filter should be inside your GC, not the pre.
But if you're going to put everyting inside the same box, the pre doesn't make sense anymore, just use the OPA627s with the filter, as on Nuuk's thread.
Old 8th August 2003, 02:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Inverting or not?

Hi guys,

there is something that i do not quite follow here:

The desition to build an inverter GC is for the sonic benefits of the inverter configuration, right?
But the problem associated with this config is low input impedance, right?

So then you compensate the low impendance with a buffer. But the buffer is NON INVERTNG!.So say good bye to the advantage of the inverting GC config.

So are we going on circles here or what?

Wouldn't be more practical to just build the GC as original (non inverting) if you need the high input impedance?
To put a filter on the non inverting input would be may be easier.
I say this because I build 9 different GC with inverting and non inv, config and the sound in not bad at all in either config.

cheers

Ric
Old 8th August 2003, 04:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You see, that's something I also don't understand. If you need a filter on the GC, it means that something went wrong when building it. The whole advantage of that amp is simplicity and minimized number of components, which in the end produce spectacular results. I've built few of those GC and it never crossed my mind to add a filter because highs were no good, actually they are better than in all other amps I tried so far.

When I hear people commenting that the buffer improves the sound, I take it with a big dose of sceptisism, because I'm still afraid that the cure might be worse than the disease. That's also one reason I still didn't try a buffer

That's also a reason that I shouldn't be really commenting on that either
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th August 2003, 04:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

....i think you should try both buffer (opa627) and filter - try also to invert the 627 and use a current source....a vishay j511.......
Old 8th August 2003, 07:36 AM   #7
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Inverting or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricren
The desition to build an inverter GC is for the sonic benefits of the inverter configuration, right?
But the problem associated with this config is low input impedance, right?
So then you compensate the low impendance with a buffer. But the buffer is NON INVERTNG!.So say good bye to the advantage of the inverting GC config.
So are we going on circles here or what?
Hi,

I agree with you. We obviously need some optimization here.

Quote:
I say this because I build 9 different GC with inverting and non inv, config and the sound in not bad at all in either config.
Not bad?
Try buffer.

Regards
Old 8th August 2003, 07:47 AM   #8
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I also built few GCs (5-6) in inv. and noninv. configurations and to my ears there is much greater difference in sound between various IC's than between inv. and noninv. configuration.
Also, I tried JFET buffered lowpass in front of inverted LM3875 GC and it really improves sound, but moamps' tubed version is even better.
Old 8th August 2003, 07:50 AM   #9
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
[B]You see, that's something I also don't understand. If you need a filter on the GC, it means that something went wrong when building it.
Hi,
I don't think so. Something is wrong with chip itself. Chip isn't ideal. Pease read
http://www.national.com/ms/LB/LB-19.pdf (only two pages)
There you can find good explanation of slew rate limiting.

Regards
Old 8th August 2003, 07:54 AM   #10
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

First may I suggest that you read and understand the signature line to this post.

Sometimes we seem to get into ruts on this forum where a topic is raised, dealt with and then brought up in another thread, may be in the hopes that a different answer will be arrived at!

I don't know how many have actually tried the buffered version of the IGC but I do know what I hear and we are not talking a minor difference, we are talking about a big improvement. This week a friend came round and listened to my buffered ICG, having listened to the same amp but unbuffered last week. He immediately noticed the improvement for himself.

The recurring theme that I talk about is this business of putting forward a theory to say that something shouldn't sound better, therefore it won't.

When I came to this forum originally and started reading about chip amps, I thought to myself that they couldn't possibly sound as good as the reports. BUT I didn't start posting to that effect because I hadn't built one for myself, or heard one that somebody else had built.

I don't want to pick on anybody in particular but I have to say that I am surprised at one contributor to this thread who has generally put his mouth where his soldering iron is and spoken from experience rather than conjecture, making a statement about the buffered ICG instead of trying it for himself!

End of lecture

Hide this!Advertise here!