TBA820m stereo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2011, 08:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TBA820m stereo

Just for fun I built this stereo amp with two TBA820m in a Hammond 1455K1201 case measuring 120x78x43mm. PSU is external 24V DC 500mA wall-wart type.

Click the image to open in full size.

I know it's not the last word in hifi equipment, it's unfinished and the wiring is ugly but it's a fun little thing and it performs really rather well, all things considered. Anybody else played with these little amps?
Old 12th April 2011, 09:32 PM   #2
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't open your image.

The maximum supply voltage for that IC is 16 volts. Are your regulating the voltage or feeding 24 volts to the IC?

What reason did you choose this chip? It is dated and needs a boat load of parts, The TDA7231 is the same performance without all that bootstrapping components. The TDA7267T needs even fewer components yet has a higher output voltage swing for more wattage. One side of the DIP is all ground pins for easy heatsinking.
Old 13th April 2011, 04:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

John,

Thanks for the tip, I haven't seen these before. Have you built anything with them? What did you find?

Image, sorry, bad link. Try this:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

You can see the regulator board tucked away at the back right. I'd have to check as it's been a while since I put it together but the voltage to the IC was around 12-15V.
I built it for no other reason than that I already had all the parts and was looking for a project. I'd already put together something similar with the TDA2030 pentawatt chips.
I'm not making any ridiculous claims about this! I am nonetheless quite impressed. They produce quite enough volume for my small front room without any notable hiss or hum. Fidelity is reasonable, bass is lacking but present. It certainly seems to have improved after running a few hours.
Thanks again for your comments.
Old 13th April 2011, 06:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good work, I'd shorten all those power cables going all over the place and use plastic wireclips to keep them neat though.

Hide this!Advertise here!