About how much would dual monos cost?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I''m looking at these gainclones, and they seem perfect for my app, which is to power DIY speakers. Say I wanted to run 50 watts to each speaker (a mono for each of the 2 speakers), whats the ballpark cost?

I'm really worried about constructing one of these myself, and I was wondering if somebody would want to put something together for me?

But that's the 'Y' in DIY!!!

Just kidding. I understand your concern with building one yourself. Honestly, though, for middle of the line results, I bet if you can build a crossover, then you can wire the circuit (with help from Nuuk's site and others) and if you do your own enclosures, a simple case would be possible. Don't sell yourself short. You'll get more satisfaction if you truly DIY.

On to the cost. There is absolutely no way to answer that question!!! If you low ball it, using low end components and thrifty searching for items like heatsink and transformer, you might be able to go less that $50 per channel, less enclosure. Then again, if you use retail and high-end components, I'd bet $200 per channel, less enclosure, would be more accurate.

It sounds like, if you're interested, you could build using PE's EI transformer, +/-18V (roughly $9, I think) and maybe a fan cooled computer processor heatsink (less than $20, I'd bet) to get to the under $50 mark. If you went with Radio Shack enclosures (1 for PS & 1 for amp) generic components and a little time, I think you'd be under $75 per channel, pretty much.

If you want a more accurate answer, pass along information such as your speaker's nominal impedance (and probably the impedance dip. . .), your application (reference system or patio speakers) and maybe even your listening pleasure.

I know there are a few of us that have no choice but to go with a level less than the top notch. I doubt anybody would look down on that. I am not so sure, however, that you'll find someone to build you a chipamp for minimal money, as it kind of stands against the DIY aspect. I could be wrong. But, if you research the sites available with step by step guides and still have questions, I bet people here would help you get the project done.

Good luck finding a solution. I hope you decide to DIY!

Sandy.

Well the application is for computer speakers, speakers are still undecided (still shopping my amp aspects first)

I've noticed I could get something like an adcom 50x2 for around $150-200 on ebay. I have no electrical experience, so I'm really worried about building this myself, and it's perfectlt understandable that most other DIY people wouldn't want to build for me, so I'm thinking that mt best bet will be to just get an already made 2 channel amp from like adcom or carver, use my soundcard as a pre-amp ( the original plan), and then have the ability to piece by piece it together into a full 5.1 system in the future when I get my own appt. etc.

having others build for you

The biggest problem for this amp is the parts and labor far exceed something like arcam if you are just looking for something to use with your computer. Buying from a diy'er would be a loss. You'd be more benefitted to have at it (learn a little, it won't hurt) or to just buy a commercial amp.

I think i'm going to take a bunch of steps down and just get a receiver. My sound card is only average, and I'm not about to pay for outboard DACs. There is a pioneer receiver that does 5.1 100x5 with a pre-out for sub.. basicaly everything that I need for now, and will give me a semi-decent HT when I move out. I'm not big into HT at all, so a basic 5.1 receiver like this will be fine for me. THEN, when I have some more money I can look into a hi-fi Home Audio setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.