Building a ss guitar amp! Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been trying to get a solid state guitar amp custom built for me for a while now (I have several threads on this but the best ones are here, here, and here). I posted this in the solid state section and they suggested you guys would be ones who could help me out :)

To make a long story short, apparently no one can build this for me and I may have to build it on my own. This is frustrating because I want to start marketing this amp (if people like it) and I want to focus most of my energy on the marketing side because that is where my strengths lie.

There is a guy in the some of the forums who goes by "Teemuk" and he is a wealth of knowledge (seriously - I would kill to have his brain :mischiev:). He suggested that I try building a power amp first, and base the power amp off an LM3886 circuit.

My first question: Here is a power amp kit based on the LM3886 I found on ebay. I will need to modify this in order to have a Master Volume, as well as a Presence control, and a Resonance/Depth control (but I heard those are supposed to go in the preamp so now I'm confused). I know I can build the kit but I'm hesitant about the modding. Are there any kits you guys know of that would be better? Am I on the right path?

good luck with your on going project...on reading some of your ideas it's going to sound well very good......but the o/p stage I would say full transistor build as power as it's more row bust....... ic's don't always stand up to high level's...look on some site's and your see many topics on said 'amps' with failed chip stages.. there will be prolong soak testing to iron out the pit fall's. building amps is hard work as we've all done in the pass..I've built many pre-amp/power amp for friends in the pass such as bass guitar amp to full mosfet power amps.

hope your pleased when it's all built and ready for gigging..

Am I on the right path?

No. Do not mod that kit, you will just make a mess. Build it as is as your power stage. For the rest of what you want to achieve, you need to build a preamp. My personal advice is trim down your wish list a bit. I think if you pursue advanced things like Presence (I'm not even sure there exists a convincing Presence control done with analog SS) you are setting yourself up for failure; of course this is just opinion. Consider a simplistic SS guitar preamp such as the peamp of this 100W Guitar Amplifier (Mk II)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.