My Cmoy blew up... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Blog Entries: 3
Default My Cmoy blew up...

or rather, the battery did. The end of the battery connected to the wires/clip/connection-thing (dunno the english word for it). A loud sharp pop and the top of the battery almost blew off, beeing held together by a thin sheat of aluminium.....

I noticed the battery started to get warm before it popped. I was making some holes in the Altoids box, and put the JDS Cmoy on top of a CD stack, went for my pliars and the, just, POP!...

It seems nothing but the battery itself is affected....I am clueless
Any ideas?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 02:25 PM   #2
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
surely better than clueless.
It sounds like you shorted the battery. What does it seem like to you?
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 02:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
surely better than clueless.
It sounds like you shorted the battery. What does it seem like to you?
That was my first guess also, however uneducated....

How does that happen, and how do I avoid it ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The last frontier
Is it on a PCB? Odds are that something shorted across the connections on the PCB when you put down. It could even be (however unlikely) that the ends of the soldered leads poked through the surface of a CD and conducted through the top aluminum layer. Avoid it by removing the battery first.
__________________
Listen to the music through the stereo, not the stereo through the music.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 03:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
digits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Always test these kind of circuits with no chip installed first to make sure voltages at the pins are ok, any major mismatch at this stage indicates a problem, also with small circuits always clean the solder side well after working with ISO to make sure no flux or other corrosive traces stay behind.... nothing as disheartening as seeing a PCB carbonise infront of your eyes after hours of work.

PS, as Fenris said, make sure traces and leads are shielded from the conductive tin or you could get shorts regardless of how neatly you worked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Is it on a PCB? Odds are that something shorted across the connections on the PCB when you put down. It could even be (however unlikely) that the ends of the soldered leads poked through the surface of a CD and conducted through the top aluminum layer. Avoid it by removing the battery first.

It is on a pcb. It is the JDS Bassboost Cmoy.
The battery have been connected for days, and everything have been working godd until today....maybe the wires, which have some bare wire exposed just abobe the pcb got crossed when I put it down or fumbled with it inside the box?

Thanks for helping me out guys!
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 01:02 AM   #7
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member
 
6L6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
You could place a sheet of paper or card between the mint tin and the circuitboard for a little bit of additional insulation. Also, as you suggest, check your wires - That seems the most likely culprit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 06:03 AM   #8
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
A friend who has experience with making that thing (cMoyBB) commented that the wire of the battery clip breaks easily at the solder point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 06:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
digits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
yep, you should get into the habbit of applying a dab of glue to where the whire meets the board, you will see it done in many everyday PCB's around the house.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 07:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks for replying. I am satisfied with the conclution that it is indeed the wire to the clip, I liooked at it just a few minutes ago, and the black tore right off just by touching it. The 26awg isnt too solid, not on this anyway.

Digits: what kind of glue would be appropriate?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your F5 blew up, now what do you do? jackinnj Pass Labs 6 25th January 2011 11:04 PM
Help Please. I think I blew my toroidals snknby123 Chip Amps 20 19th January 2009 08:49 PM
Help. I blew up my amps... ptwining Class D 5 15th April 2006 02:57 AM
Blew my transformer rs1026 Chip Amps 17 17th August 2004 12:50 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:12 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2