Trying to make a small sub out of a chipamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I was scouring the internet for information, but is it possible to make a chipamp power a small PC sub? Nothing too extensive, and doesn't have to be too powerful, just enough to give a well, nice bass to PC music, I don't have too much money, and I have worked with an LM386 before, and I do find it quite fun, I was curious if anyone knows how I would go about making a PC sub out of a IC chip, and which one would work best. Thank you !

-Oscar

Oscar, since you're on a budget I suggest searching the web for a good deal on a driver. Once you've got a driver, then you can focus in on the proper enclosure and chipamp, and merging it with your current setup.
There's loads of information & support for the LM1875 chip. With just a modest power supply it will put out ten to twenty watts. I only mention it as a starting point. I don't really know what your design goals are other than your generalized statements.

Oscar, since you're on a budget I suggest searching the web for a good deal on a driver. Once you've got a driver, then you can focus in on the proper enclosure and chipamp, and merging it with your current setup.
There's loads of information & support for the LM1875 chip. With just a modest power supply it will put out ten to twenty watts. I only mention it as a starting point. I don't really know what your design goals are other than your generalized statements.

I actually have an old samsung subwoofer out of a home stereo system that is rated at 100w, and it sounded great when I used it, but the amp itself was a display model and went nuts after a few weeks. I don't know the exact specs of it, I just know it's 100w and it's a 6" driver. I did check out the LM1875, and it looks like it would work quite well, not to mention it looks pretty simple to wire.

Now as far as a power supply, can I use a wall-wart and modify it, or should I make my own transformer for it?

Yea pretty much, I'm looking to make an amp for my PC, since I have all the other speakers working just fine, I'm just missing one for the subwoofer channel. It's just a driver, and the enclosure as you said, there is no amp/power to it, it's one of those that was powered by the headunit

So you have a subwoofer-out signal. All you need is an amplifier and power supply. Yeah, the LM1875 would do. It's a little bit "up-the-ladder" from a LM386 but nothing you can't handle. I'd check the subwoofer forum for info on using a switchmode supply; I have no firsthand experience with it but see it as a suitable possibility. There may be something I'm overlooking though. Something like 20 volts at 5 amps is where I'd be looking for a power supply.

Finding a good driver for a small sub is really tough. I would suggest the same thing, find a driver and decide on the type of enclosure first before you decide on a chip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.