Help for recycled 5.1 Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2011, 04:16 PM   #1
camus is offline camus  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Help for recycled 5.1 Amp

The home theater system was given to me by a friend who said it did not work and was about to throw it all away. After the first inspection, I noticed the PCB was of very poor quality and had cracks, thus I decided to recycle the components that were good and build my own 5.1 amp to use with my computer.

I tried to simplify the design as much as I could as I am not looking for a HI-FI system, just something to listen to music and watch movies on my PC.
I also tried to follow the original design as much as I could to avoid getting new parts.

Currently I have a few doubts that I hope someone can help me with.

1-Not sure if the two fuses (F02 AND F03) go before the rectifier as drawn or actually need to be placed at the very end after the capacitors (C1 & C2).

2-After reading much about the subject in the forums, I am confused about grounding the 0V line to the metal chassis, as there wasn't such a connection in the original design and also working at 220V 50Hz with no ground connection, I am not sure what would happen or its even advisable.

3-As for the rest of the system (the actual amp) disregard the 12V rating on the caps, I just copied the design from the IC manufacturer and haven't calculated what I really might need to use.

4-Also any ideas on how to best split the signal on Amp3 (sub woofer and Center channels) would be appreciated.

Again, any help, suggestion or comment is welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: png amplificador.png (26.9 KB, 76 views)
Old 3rd April 2011, 02:26 PM   #2
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

The fuses are shown across the rail making a short circuit. The position is fine before the rectifier. I can't make out the chip in use TDA-something it looks like.
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:39 PM   #3
camus is offline camus  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr66 View Post
The fuses are shown across the rail making a short circuit. The position is fine before the rectifier. I can't make out the chip in use TDA-something it looks like.
Thanks! I just realized that the hard way, I stupidly made the connections with the power on. As a result I got a blown fuse and a very loud explosion from a blown cap (ears still ringing)

I am also a little concerned as when I started plugin the AC mains one by one, when I had two connected (+17V -0V) the toroidal started humming. As I was surprised by this, I took the multimeter and once I touched one of the mains, the capacitor and fuse blew.

The Amp is a TDA7264, sorry I didn't realize the picture looked so small. I'll put it in PDF so one can zoom in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf amplificador1_1.pdf (22.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf TDA7264II.pdf (125.6 KB, 9 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!