Fullrange with chipamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello people!

Has anyone tried the Audio Nirvana drivers together with, say, Peter Daniels premium LM3875? I am utterly curios about these drivers, but feel abit torn. I have heard it's love'em or hate'em with these drivers, so I am looking for some educated feedback before I buy an AudioSector kit to go with these..if chip aps and fullrangers are a bad match, I'll have to go with either some other speakers or another amp :)

Hope someone can share some experience :)

Perhaps your right, but you know, I have heard they prefer some extra watts. Can't tell you were I read it though.

I wish I knew someone with such an amp, would be great to have a wee bit of listen before I decide...Any chance anyone know somebody with a decent recording mic that have posted a video somewhere?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
MO, the chip amps do sound nice, and will certainly get you going. If you consider the costs of the PSU, heatsinks, case etc. the amp modules are only a small part of the overall budget, so as long as you get a big enough enclosure, you can always build a different amp later on using the same parts if you decide the chip amps are not for you. Just go for it. ;)

I honestly believe that you will want to adjust the output impedance of the amplifier in order to level the frequency response of a full range speaker driver, with either the simplistic series resistor or with an easy hybrid current drive circuit onto an LM1875.

Some people would purchase amplifiers at random until one of them "agrees" with their full range speakers. That seems to be a "financially inefficient" method of making differences in output impedance.

Seems to me that the extra power is useful for drums and other struck sounds. Plus, wouldn't using a more powerful amplifier set for lower gain have less noise?

:)ensen.

Oh that's possible.

What's also possible is that decreased gain IS increased negative feedback along with the potential consequences of decreased stability and exacerbated clipping. That's not less noise.

Both scenarios are possible. It depends on the amplifier. Unity stable power op-amps are rare. Perhaps you're looking for a discrete amplifier?

or this. . .
The more typical approach to do something like what you've asked, is to use a fet current buffer to feed a parallel chip amplifier.
The flat amp (no gain) is located on the input of the chip amp.
The chip amp is parallel with an identical chip amp for increased current capacity.

That will run David's Ambiance speaker with LM1875. Watch out for that orchestra hit, you'll flip your recliner.

Increased current capacity (high impact dynamics) isn't the same feature as current drive (level frequency response); but, of course its your option to build an amplifier with both features.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.