Bridge construction - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2003, 08:21 PM   #31
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Default what ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I also suspect, that although snubbers may improve certain aspects of performance, they screw up sonics in some other way.

I have repeatedly noticed a huge improvement in quality with just caps but that is with the caps directly across the secondarys. otherwise as andy says the caps are just providing a HF s/s path across the diodes

have you tried caps across the secondarys ?

I would be really suprised if you did not notice a big impovement.

I use 4.7uF on all my power amps - sounds outrageous in theory, but in practice, for me, it sounds amazing, much more refined and no trade offs that I have noticed

If you do not notice the difference I will have to conclude that we are living in different universe's with different laws of nature operating

chou

mike
Old 6th August 2003, 08:36 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I didn't have a chance to try caps acros secondaries yet. Next time I'll try. I noticed big difference when I place the caps right after bridge, so I think I'll be able to hear them at secondaries as well
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th August 2003, 08:57 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Jonclancy-

Thanks for the link. I like that layout. I think I will turn it inside out, tho, without the pcb. Lay them on their sides with pins in on the perfboard. Bend the pins down into the holes and solder the bridge.

Then I will heatsink each diode with something small, and since the tabs are all pointing out, I will have plenty of room.

As long as I have a little air circulation gap between the diodes and the perfboard, I should do fine.
Old 6th August 2003, 09:07 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Here's one of my more recent bridges in GC monoblock. One per rail Gainclone monoblocks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (64.8 KB, 236 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th August 2003, 11:04 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

That is a nice design, Peter.

Are they heatsink'd (heatsunk?) or just mounted?

It would screw the bridge up if they were not insulated on a common heatsink, wouldn't it?

GnD
Old 6th August 2003, 11:24 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

they are heatsinked, but because the heat issue isn't that big here I used a piece of thin fiberglass strip for that purpose. If you have enough space this is probably the best way to wire a bridge: outside pins connected together for AC supply, the inside pins crossed connected for ground and DC supply. As you see, no snubbers this time
Old 7th August 2003, 10:58 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Have you guys tried the RC filter described as ideal in the article you quoted? The graphic with just the cap showed a pronounced lower-freq sine, for a long while after the no-snubber ringing would have ended. It is lower energy so it doesn't couple with other elements of your circuit, but if you make the cap a lot bigger than what was quoted you end up impinging on audio frequencies.
Old 7th August 2003, 12:26 PM   #38
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Originally posted by Squalish
Have you guys tried the RC filter described as ideal in the article you quoted? The graphic with just the cap showed a pronounced lower-freq sine, for a long while after the no-snubber ringing would have ended. It is lower energy so it doesn't couple with other elements of your circuit, but if you make the cap a lot bigger than what was quoted you end up impinging on audio frequencies.
I the real world I find it hard to see any ringing wether the cap is there or not. for me, the lower the frequency the better, the filter caps and chips supply rejection are far far more effective at low frequencies. subjectively the big cap sounds great.

it's worth trying...

mike

Hide this!Advertise here!