TDA2822 headphone amp - question about voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have small amp built based on TDA2822 (schematic). Would it be better to run it on 2xAA or 1x9V? My headphones are AKG with 600 Ohms impedance. I am not really concerned on what would give me longer run time but more concerned what would be the correct voltage to run if used as headphone amp as it takes less time to charge AA than 9V.

Thanks.

I would go for 9V battery.
2xAA reachrgeable will get you 2*1.2 volts, that is somewhere 2.4 volts.
and You need 3 volts minimum to get it going.

Even so, if the amp could manage to get that 3 volts as output, with a 600 ohm headphone it may not even be enough for anything.
0,015 watt, I em not a headphone user, but that seems a bit low for anything i might think of.

So i would go for the 9V solution.

Thanks for replies. I will go with 9V battery then. In my case it is even better because I already have an enclosure with support for 9V battery. As to the performance of the 2822, I am not too concerned about it because it will be used to amplify signal of my electric guitar for some late night practice. No need for the hi-fi sound.

I wouldn't be so sure about that comment on this chips performance.

initial signs in my prototype (with a very crap quality psu capacitor and running at 5v from a 7805 instead of 9v) tda2822m in stereo mode are promising, it stands up to critisism against a KT88 SE in Ultralinear mode while driving a pair of Frugelhorns that use Fostex FE126En's. It doesn't better it of course but comes to within the ballpark of its performance. And I do mean ballpark, not hoolahoop or cereal bowl, ball park, lots and lots of distance. But at least its there! Cant say the same for the LM386 or others like it.

It does have a tad bit of harshness to it but I wouldn't call it unlistenable, not at all! Infact that attribute is probably due to the rubbish nasty chinese electrolytic capacitors in the prototype. And quite a few people online find it sounds good. Very common DIY chip.

I'm rebuilding a new one in monoblock fashion soon and hopefully that will tell me once and for all what this amp sounds like when the surrounding components are at their best.

Just wanted to say this so people in the future reading this thread don't discredit this little amp so easily.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.