STK410-030D & STK411-230D - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2011, 04:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default STK410-030D & STK411-230D

My Kenwood VR307 is going into protect. There was a popped cap and a bad resistor but I changed them and it still goes into protect.

If I pull out one or both of the STK IC's would/should I be able to power it properly without damaging anything? I know there would be no output, but just to see if the protection stops...

I have a new STK410-030D here, but I didn't want to install it if it can get damaged by the old (possibly damaged) STK411-230D. I have no problem ordering one of them too, but would like to know if there was a way to "test" by removal.

Are they independent in a sense that I can pull one at a time and test to see if it stops going into protect?

Thanks in advance for your help, you guys have SO much knowledge on this forum.

Paul B
Old 10th March 2011, 04:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

yes, you will be able to power the device, just check whether you can reset the reciver/amp if possible before resorting to repair; if you are sure that the ic itself is faulty then remove one by one and turn it on, if it turns on replace both of the ics because you will have tonal issues as one will be burnt in after countless hours of listening and the new one will sound fresh, so not to create an imbalance, replace both...
Old 10th March 2011, 04:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Excellent... I have them both removed right now, so I'll install the new STK410-030D, put it back together and see if it powers up properly with the STK411-230D out of circuit. If it powers up properly, I'll order a new STK410-230D just for good measures.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10th March 2011, 04:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've gone over just about every component in the main board and other than the popped cap and one smoked resistor everything else seems good. Those IC's appear to be a pain to test (even after looking over the data sheets/ schematics)... the removal test seems simplest to me.
Old 10th March 2011, 05:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I installed the new STK410-030D, put it all back together and it fires up fine. So I'm going to order the 411-230D and replace it too. Thank you again for your help.

Last edited by Deadly Sones; 10th March 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I got a hi fi which goes into protection mode..after troubleshooting, i found the problem comes from the circuit board where STK410-030D & STK411-230D was located..i do a visual check on the other components and they looks fine..i think the problem comes from one of the STK ic(i think)..what is the STK ic used for?is there any compatible ic that i can use to replace them?
Old 29th August 2012, 09:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

rockerpaluza - they control the output channels. Just do as I did above. Remove one at a time and check/turn on... or remove both and turn on. If it powers up without protection (but has no sound of course) then the problem is in one of the IC's. IMHO I'd replace both, just to make it that much more reliable.

Hide this!Advertise here!