A warmer buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys i'm currently using a LM4562 opamp as a buffer(bridging circuit) in-front of a bridged lm3886 setup.

When playing various classical and electronic style music its sounding very crystal, clean and expansive. However when playing rock music it can be quite fatiguing / clinical.

Can anyone recommend any opamps similar in spec to the lm4562 a bit softer with abit more warmth i can try.

OPA627 (you have to use a single to dual adaptor for this) is probably the warmth champion. Clean and silky smooth. It has a friendly and cozy coloration. This is an expensive opamp.

OPA2132 and OPA2134 also have that warm Burr-Brown sound, but I find them lacking soundstage and details. A bit harsh treble.

NE5532 is warmer than LM4562. I find it smooth and warm but lifeless. Beware of high bias currents resulting in DC-offset if your amp is not capacitor coupled or the bias currents are balanced out.

AD8599 isn't far from LM4562. A little warmer and "friendlier", a little less detailed. Quite good.

LM6172 is called analytical by many. I find it warm. This is a high speed opamp with high bias currents and the role model for cranky opamps.

Search here and at Head-fi.org and you'll find lots of reviews. We all tend to disagree on how they sound, and some people think it's imagination and they all sound the same.

Have you ever tried LM3886 without input buffer?

Why not use a discrete JFET buffer like Nelson Pass's B1?

There is something you might try before replacing the opamps that shouldn't cost you anything. I recently pulled my feedback resistor from the board and soldered it directly on the chip legs a la Peter Daniels style. It seemed to take some of the high frequency edge off without affecting the clarity at all.

5676.jpg

not quite a dil but close enough :), found somewhere on the net PRIDEDIYJUNK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.