Fist Amplifier - TPA1517NE HeadPhone Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heyyas, i've just completed my first amplifier, a TPA1517NE-based ChipAmps that runs on 18V, complete with PSU on one PCB.

It is powered by a high 0-18V supply to drive high-impedance (100-800(?) Ohms) high-end headphones (even though itself isn't that highend oO).

I've also built a case made from 15mm Multiplex, routered a knob for volume control and fitted everything in there nicely.

The sound itself was a amazing experience for me. While beeing able to drive my large speakers (DIY studio monitors Index of /speakers) and my surround-speakers at a high room-volume (hey, now i know why those tube-amp-guys are okay with 10watts!) it can drive a 200ohms Headphone at a okay volume and the sound is ... i'm sure there are plenty of better headphone amps out there, in fact i think most of them are better than this. still the sound really astonished me. The lower end was very detailed on both my dj headphones and the Beyerdynamics DT 770 i tested on (the amp is for a friend who's a real highend headphones freak, so i've not got the fancy equipment to test properly :/) which suprised me as i knew the dt770 as overly aggressive from the lower end. The mids and voice-band was very smooth, nice to listen to for a longer time and also very detailed.

All in all it was a sound experience i've never listened to...

aaand as everyone loves pics - here we go:
Schematic, PCB Layout and pics from testing: Cheen.Amp.waii 0.1 ALPHA d(^_^)b
Final casing: Amplifier Multiplex Case

The schematic is almost 1:1 the application note, i've only enlarged the output capacitors for a lower cutoff frequency...

I'd be glad for some criticism, although i'd ask you to go easy on me and this project - it's a first-timer after all :) Greetings - NebuK

Last edited:
Interesting that the TPA1517 should give decent sound on headphones. The high impedance obviously helps more than expected.

Nice layout for a first project. If you want to improve the solder joints, next time try thermals on planes and solder stop laquer. Avoid right-angled traces. And the next step is to give all polarised components the same orientation. Although even professional layouts often don't achieve that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.