Gain of inverting amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2003, 10:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Gain of inverting amp

Hello All,
I am still in the process of making my first GC for an active system.
I have worked out that the amps for the tweeters only need to be app 20 watts rms.

I will be driving the system from my XA333ES SACD player which has a 2 v rms output which I will need to pad down.

From my initial calculations I have found I only need a gain of 9 to get full output with a 1 volt input.
Am I better to reduce the input voltage to 0.5 volts max and have a gain value of app 17.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Blair
Old 29th July 2003, 01:57 PM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For use in an active speaker system where, presumably you will want the amps close to the drivers, I would recommend using the non-inverted design.

The alternative is to put a buffer before the inverted power amps.

I would just buld the amps with equal gain and then if you need to adjust the tweeter levels, put in some sort of volume control after.
Old 30th July 2003, 06:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Nuuk,
please excuse my ignorance if I ask why the topology of the non inverting amp is prefered to the inverted design for an active system.
Can you please explain.

Regards
Blair
Old 30th July 2003, 07:01 PM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello Nuuk,
please excuse my ignorance if I ask why the topology of the non inverting amp is prefered to the inverted design for an active system.
Can you please explain.
It is because with the inverted design, the feedback loop includes the items which preceed the amp, like the interconnects and the volume control.

As one of the big advantages of active systems is to have the amps as close to the drivers as possible, this would mean using long interconnects which could effect the performance of the IGC.

Of course, this may not be the case if you put the active crossovers immediately before the IGCs as they would act as a buffer, isolating the ICG circuit from the cables. But it needs somebody more experienced than I am to confirm this.
Old 31st July 2003, 11:50 AM   #5
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
It is because with the inverted design, the feedback loop includes the items which preceed the amp, like the interconnects and the volume control.
Hi,

Are you sure?

Regards
Old 31st July 2003, 11:58 AM   #6
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

We have been there before and I must note again that while this view is readily promoted by a fairly high profile poster it is nevertheless absolutely and utterly wrong. The FEEDBACK loop is from the output to the inverting input, REGARDLESS if the Amplifier is inverting, noninverting or pseudo balanced Input.

You are talking about the input loop and that again is the same in all essentials for inverting and noninverting mode but differs for pseudo balanced. What MAY need to be addressed is the circuit stability with open input for the inverting design.

Sayonara
Old 31st July 2003, 11:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Cool one of the big advantages of active systems is to have the amps as close to the drive

its an advantage - but not big......there are several much bigger advantages in an active setup.......
Old 31st July 2003, 12:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you are into very high-end (read: expensive) speaker cables, the advantage may be worth several 1000 dollars...

Jan Didden
Old 31st July 2003, 12:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Old 31st July 2003, 12:38 PM   #10
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
If you are into very high-end (read: expensive) speaker cables, the advantage may be worth several 1000 dollars...

Jan Didden

Longer interconnects are also expensive.

Hide this!Advertise here!