Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2003, 09:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default GC enclosure idea and question:

Any suggestions on particular models of (cheap) vintage receivers/amps which would be easy to gut and retrofit with a cool, aluminum faceplate for a gainclone enclosure?

If anyone has tried this, please give any advice you learned from the experience.

Thanks,

GnD
Old 27th July 2003, 10:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Pioneer SA-8800. I cut the top part of front plate off and will use it for a preamp stage with APOX circuit. I like the big volume knob and dispaly window comes very handy. Originally it was too big but now it's pretty slim. The chassis frame (I'm using only the front subplate) needs some more extensive work though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p.jpg (71.3 KB, 414 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th July 2003, 10:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I picked up an RCA SCT-520 dual cassette deck (I know it's not vintage, a reciever or amp but it was cheap!!) from a Radioshack outlet. Got it for $5, which isn't too bad, all I need to do is sand/paint it drill a few holes and make a new front plate. I've got the amp modules (3886 for now) and bridges (MUR860) done.
Old 27th July 2003, 10:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Damn Peter that would of matched the rest of my pioneer equipment!!!!!!grrrrrrrrr
Old 27th July 2003, 11:20 PM   #5
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

A friend of mine owns a audio repair/used equipment shop and is always buried in dead 70s and 80s components that arent worth fixing. He usually sells inop units for $5 unless theyre "classics" and can be used for parts.

Call around to the repair shops and ask if they have any they would like to sell. Youre best bet is probably a miminalist integrated amp from the 70s. The faceplates will only have a few switches and knobs, generally turned out of aluminum, and you might be able use it as is or with just a sanding of the faceplate to rid it of its prior identity. And the lower output versions might have just the right size transformer/heatsink too.

amt
Old 28th July 2003, 12:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

GREAT idea, AMT.

Wondering why I didn't think of that. There is one in my area whom I am about to start bothering!

Thanks,

GnD

Hide this!Advertise here!