TA2020 MKII Portable system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've been wanting to to make a portable stereo system for a while now, and have been doing research and decided on using a MKII Tripath TA2020 Board from eBay, and I was wondering if I would need a pre-amp (Going to be using a Ipod/Mobile phone as input), what sort of battery I would need, If a pair of Celestion Ditton 6" Speakers would be ok, and if I would need a driver to power a VU meter I was going to add (and if i can't get that working, how hard would it be to make a LED VU meter).

Also, is the board I'm looking at the best one for the job? I was going to make my own board using a TDA1558Q But apparently they put out a heap of heat and don't sound that great anyway.

Thanks

The TA2020 will work without preamp.
The battery should obviously be a 12 V type, the capacity depends on how long and how loud you want to listen.
If you refer to a pointer VU meter, you need to check the voltage rating. Most likely you will need a voltage divider. For a LED VU meter you will need a driver (LM3915 or LM3916).
For a battery-driven amp class D is better than class AB, so forget the TDA1558. If you want other suggestions for suitable class D amps, there is a Class D section in the Forum, where you can ask.

battery-driven class D amp

"For a battery-driven amp class D is better than class AB"

Very interested in this.

Can you please expand on it?

I did a little seraching on the Class D forum but could not find anything on battery driven.

Can you please explain some of the theory behind this?

I am looking for a very small Battery driven amps for high efficiency speakers in home use.

Rechargeable Battery NiMh 2200Ah 4200Ah

Maybe something like this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.