Locating diodes close to the M3875

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built separate supply for my phono stage and decided to use diodes on main board and only the transformer in a separate enclosure. The wires from transformer were probably 3 feet long (4 per channel) and when I used to run them close together (in a one sleeve) they got really hot. Had to remove sleeve and had the separated.

I would imagine that it's always better to have bridges closer to transformer, with some local caps (I'm using 4.7u BG N), and run DC to the amp. Any possible AC noise is reduced this way.

Audioquest speaker cable....

"...and when I used to run them close together (in a one sleeve) they got really hot. ..."

"...the cable was made out of Audioquest speaker cable..."

An interesting and sometimes important note on some of the Audioquest speaker cables: The cable is made up of individually "insulated" solid core conductors. The conductors have different color insulation, but often there is more than one wire with black "insulation". If you use an ohm meter to measure resistance BETWEEN "insulated" conductors, you will discover that the black insulation does not insulate (somewhat conductive). That could explain the mystery of the hot cable when used to carry signal between two black wires.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the responses.

Originally posted by Mad_K
cons: higher impedance between the transformer/rectifier. This could make some unwanted effects in your PSU.

What effects would you imagine besides a little voltage drop due to resistance.

Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I would imagine that it's always better to have bridges closer to transformer, with some local caps (I'm using 4.7u BG N), and run DC to the amp. Any possible AC noise is reduced this way.

The AC to the rectifiers would be say 22VAC @ 50 or 60 Hz, but the AC ripple after the rectifiers would be a few volts? @ 100 or 120 Hz or do those small 4.7uF caps actually remove all the ripple. What is the predominant factor for AC noise, voltage amplitude or frequency?

Peter, so you are using 1000uF BG at the LM3875 and 4.7uF BG at the rectifiers. Have you found this really necessary? I was wondering if the long power cable was acting as a resistive element in an RC filter thus help smoothing the PSU.

Nobody has mentioned the noise from the diodes switching. Is this significant?

goudey said:

An interesting and sometimes important note on some of the Audioquest speaker cables: The cable is made up of individually "insulated" solid core conductors. The conductors have different color insulation, but often there is more than one wire with black "insulation". If you use an ohm meter to measure resistance BETWEEN "insulated" conductors, you will discover that the black insulation does not insulate (somewhat conductive). That could explain the mystery of the hot cable when used to carry signal between two black wires.

It is indeed the case. I measured something like 120ohm between some of the black wires, I know there was no short, but I have no clue where this comes from. It may indeed be the reason for cable getting warm.

grege said:
Peter, so you are using 1000uF BG at the LM3875 and 4.7uF BG at the rectifiers. Have you found this really necessary? I was wondering if the long power cable was acting as a resistive element in an RC filter thus help smoothing the PSU.

My cables are 2' long and this is how I use the caps. I'm using those small 4.7u BGs as they improve sonics. It was also suggested to me by Fred to use some capacitance with the rectifiers. I tried what I had on hand and I liked it. I also tried additonal 1000u at the bridges, but there was no doubt it sounded worse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.