Newb w/ TA2024 (sonic t amp) I have questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am quite aware that questions about this amp have been asked many many many times. I have a few questions that after reading on and off for 2 yrs still leave me wondering what my next step is.

First off what I have already done.
581d4e98.jpg

d16c3924.jpg

As you see in the pictures I have already cut out the volume knob and only use it as a switch. I have bridged 2 points with black wire and have soldered in a pair of matched resistors for the gain. (when I say matched I mean I measured ~100 resistors of the same value and used the closest ones and they where very close)

Ok so now for where I need some help and direction. Currently my power supply is
21eef311.jpg

1a:) So I am wondering if DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information. is any good for me? One thing I am left wondering is that it looks like that power supply is set up to power 2 individual chips and that the caps are probably separate from each other. If this is the case can I just bridge the connections or will this cause 24v?

1b:) Alternative can I dissemble my power supply and just add capacitors?
1c:) Know of a better inexpensive power supply then please post a link.
1d:) Should I put the power supply in the same case as the amp or in a separate case? Is it that big of a difference?

2:) What RCA and banana connectors are very inexpensive and work well with thin material I am most likely going to mount it in an aluminum project box.

3:) Other than the power supply and what I have already done is there anything else that would be very easy to modify? I do not need a pot as I am using a uforce usb dac and am just using the volume knob on it.

Thanks

I will probably have more questions as I start to hear feedback

1a) That power supply is not good for you. It is a split power supply and you need a single power supply. As opposed to the power supply you are using now it needs a transformer to work. It is designed for higher voltages than your TA2024 IC can stand.

1b) You can, but it is not advisable. You can also add capacitors without disassembling the power supply. The danger is that as you increase the capacitance the power supply may become unstable, oscillate and self-destruct.

1c) What is your definition of better? The only thing you can improve is the peak current. See if you can find industrial SPMS with 12 V. You can get 100 W supplies for less than 20 €. That should solve all issues you can ever have with such a small amplifier.

1d) Each has its advantages, but the difference is not big.

For further modding check the Class D section of the Forum. Maybe you get suggestions for the power supply there, too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.