My Logitech Z-2300 keeps shutting off - help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2011, 06:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mgcasella
Question My Logitech Z-2300 keeps shutting off - help!

I hope I don't sound like a total n00b but I found this site while doing a search on my Logitech Z-2300 and I hope you all can help me.

I bought my Logitech used off Craigslist about a month ago for $40 and the only problem with it is (supposedly) that the output jack for the satellite speakers comes loose "every once and a while".

Since I have bought it, I will be listening to MP3's (with my phone hooked up) and then, suddenly, the sound stops. When I go over to inspect the problem, I see that the power-indicator light has gone out. The Logitech is plugged into a power strip and, after testing, all the outlets work. Then, a few hours later, the stereo will work again

Important note: The first time this happened, and I tried plugging the amp back in, a loud humming sound came out of all the speakers (but the amp was technically off). I unplugged it and plugged it in again and, after a few times, the sound disappeared.

My guess is that it could be shutting down automatically because it is overheating. If this is correct (or not) what should I do? I have plenty of experience repairing and soldering guitar stuff so I don't want to throw this amp out.

Also, I can take it apart and post any pictures that would be helpful - just ask
Old 26th January 2011, 10:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I suggest doing what you can with your expirience then post the outcome of your findings. This will make it much easier for members to help you . Overheating you say! get the lid off and do finger test on the output ic to confirm this
Regards Mark
Old 26th January 2011, 02:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had issues VERY similar to this on a small speaker system of my mother.

After a very long struggle i tested the toroidal transformer. IT tested fine open circuit. But as soon as i put a load on it , the secondary voltage dropped FAR too much for VA.

MY bet is that the transformer is bust OR at least is fine when it's cold but has internal shorts when it gets warmer.
Old 26th January 2011, 03:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

why bet on what is wrong with your amp/speaker system??????. unless you can get good odds lol
i have also seen the same fault with transformers.
i have also found the ic can overheat
I have also found bad joints / dry joints.

All caused the same main symptom shutting down.
Old 26th January 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
I've seen a shorted transformer in a Logitech system myself - it was a Z-5300. Since there was no way of opening the enclosure, it had to be smashed apart and rebuilt from scratch after the transformer was replaced. Which in retrospect was good for the subwoofer because the speaker had already begun to tear itself apart, the spider got detached from the cone on one side. I glued the spider back on and did a 4th order bandpass instead of the series tuned 6th order it had. And it ended up sounding quite good.

I sure hope the 2300 is easier to take apart.

Last edited by Th3 uN1Qu3; 26th January 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 27th January 2011, 06:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Alright everybody - I got the backplate off today! The only problem is that the wires to the speaker (which are red and black) go behind a panel so I can barely move the backplate.

Also, there are two thick yellow, twisted around each other that go behind the panel as well. I can't see the transformer in the cavity - do you guys think that's what the yellow wires go to?

I tried taking off the front panel but it seems pretty solid.

So the question of the hour is... Do I access the electronics cavity by:

Breaking off the faceplate, then unscrewing the speaker?
OR
Cutting the wires from behind?

I think the best way is to take off the faceplate - what do you guys think?
Old 27th January 2011, 06:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Don't worry - never mind guys

I just found a video on Youtube that shows how to take the grill off - I'll probably do this tomorrow evening.

Just for the hell of it - I may replace the sub

After that I'll try taking the speaker out - how can I test the tranny to see if it's overheating?

Last edited by mgcasella; 27th January 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 28th January 2011, 01:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

you will need various resistors and a multimeter to measure output voltage vs load.

or give us the specs on the transformer than you can connect one resistor to loud it high and we compare voltage to open circuit voltage.
Old 1st February 2011, 08:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

All right everybody - I finally found some time to open up this beast and I took pics of what I found. Without further ado...

Here's the front with the grill off (and that doesn't look like a speaker cone to me)
Click the image to open in full size.

The front with the grill off (and, yes, that's the back of the speaker)

Here's the back of the front piece that came off

Magnet of the actual speaker (I feel deceived - 10 inches my ***)

Front of the actual speaker (I still feel deceived)

Tranny
...the top reads:
CEFW5730-00-1
I/P 120 VAC 60Hz
O/P 14.5 VDC 1.6A

Top of the chassis

I really hope this unit didn't cost a lot when it was new because the tranny is not torroidal and the speaker looks like junk. Is it common for the speaker orientation to be done this way (backwards)?

At first I was going to relocate/rearrange everything so it would be easier to feel if something became overheated. When I took everything out, I realized that EVERYTHING (including a lot of stuff on and around the chassis) was covered in glue. Because of this, I have decided that the only thing worth doing is replacing the tranny. This is because it is the only thing I would be able to replace - anything else would be impossible to remove because of the glue.

How do I find the correct tranny replacement? Can I use any one that has an output voltage of 14.5 volts and 1.6 amps?
Old 1st February 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

test the old transformer first.

First

Measure the AC voltage on the transformer while plugged into the wall.

don't shock

And report back. Measure the secondary AC voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!