Craftsmanship and engineering - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2003, 11:02 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Actually it was silver solid core wire (not copper, I made mistake while typing). I didn't like it. Maybe purity wasn't good enough, it seemed harder to bend than the wire used to terminate Jensen caps for instance.

I can't take off the jackets off those BG, because they will be loose in those 7/8" holes. I don't bother with that as I think that those white mounts do more tho the sound than taking off the jackets. I did take 'em off on 4.7 coupling caps and notice more smoothness, but nothing really to write home about. I prefer not to use coupling caps at all in my own amps.

The standoffs are brass, as I had to solder the copper wires to them.

I will still continue to use sharp bends on my copper wires. I have enough trouble with making those p2p connections already
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th July 2003, 11:11 PM   #32
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Maybe purity wasn't good enough, it seemed harder to bend than the wire used to terminate Jensen caps for instance
Pure silver wire, as gold, is much softer than copper at equal gauge...

Quote:
I can't take off the jackets off those BG, because they will be loose in those 7/8" holes. I don't bother with that as I think that those white mounts do more tho the sound than taking off the jackets.
Not that hard to solve on a prototype anyway...the white block is something similar to Delrin I suppose?

Quote:
I will still continue to use sharp bends on my copper wires. I have enough trouble with making those p2p connections already
I can well imagine...just think of it as an idea for a next prototype, if it's feasable at all.

In the mean time I'll keep on catching all the derailed electrons for you...

Cheers,
Old 25th July 2003, 11:25 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Pure silver wire, as gold, is much softer than copper at equal gauge...
That depends. Silver can indeed be harder than copper depending on the working an annealing done. Drawing the wire through the dies will work harden it and if it's not annealed afterward, you can end up with silver that's harder than copper which has been annealed.

se
Old 25th July 2003, 11:30 PM   #34
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
That depends.
It may rain tomorrow too...that depends.

Silverwire for audio use should always be annealled and, BTW, you can not arrive at 4N or higher purity of Ag or Au if you don't anneal it.

Anything more you think you know?

Cheers,
Old 25th July 2003, 11:46 PM   #35
diyAudio Retiree

Default Conversly

"By the way, why are you insisting that others are deaf?"

You mean the same people accusing those reporting hearing differences of; self delusion, mass hypnosis, elitism, and even outright fraud? Let me add the clarification then of "deaf to changes in sound in sound quality." This seems to me the same description that person uses when saying "I can't hear the difference" when describing their own null results. Who is insulting who? If they can't here the difference, why are they on such a holy crusade to tell others they can't. Is it perhaps because they are not satisfied with their system and knowledge and resent the hell out of the fact that someone else is. There is so much straightforward physics behind most of this stuff that it is not funny. Many of this details have been described in other non audio scientific and engineering endeavors that it is strange that audio gets single out for the critics from the unqualified. There is plenty of BS in audio and plenty of stuff that works. The worth while discoveries were no made by people sitting around and saying "Its too hard to understand and not worth the effort to try...." A lot of tweak products have been developed by people from other engineering disciplines than audio. Presenting measurements always invokes the "it's to small to make any difference" response from the self described authorities. I don't want these people to hear a difference or learn anything. Their intellectual cowardice and laziness guarantees they never will. I don't won't to hear the it is not worth the money BS, when we are trying to talk about building stuff from scratch. would your time be better spent going to McDonald's for a gourmet meal ( it all taste the same and its cheaper). I want these people to spend as much money as they can on systems that they think are no better than mass market cheap electronics. If this stuff doesn't matter, I just don't understand the absolute zeal that have for coming to tell me what I can't hear and why I can't hear it. Is there some other subject that you people know nothing about that you can go argue about? I will bet there are DOZENS! Go email NASA and tell them how to fix the Space Shuttle. You will save us all tax dollars and maybe someone's life. They aren't up to the task and you will be contributing to something that matters. World hunger and peace in the middle East could sure use your expert input. I could really use you guys to fix the economy as it affecting me personally in very non-subjective ways. Let us know how you make out. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

America and the world need you. Hurry,
Fred
Old 26th July 2003, 12:01 AM   #36
diyAudio Retiree

Unhappy Engineering post

"You probably have to ask Fred, to post some engineering illustrations"

Someone might even ask why you are using the type of Caddocks that are no where near the good Caddocks.......
I will leave it to you to research as you desire.

BTW I don't know what solder you use but lead free silver solder joints don't look as nice as regular solder. They but sound better. There are ways to do composite solder joints for sonics and looks and good wetting. More R and D. as I know you don't want to discuss proprietary stuff on the forum.
Old 26th July 2003, 12:05 AM   #37
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
I actually got flamed once over at Slashdot, by a regular on this forum whose name I will not mention, because I recommended the use of lead-free solder. I advised using it for its superior metallurgical properties and as a matter of concern for the environment.

People can be contrary regarding practically anything.
Old 26th July 2003, 12:06 AM   #38
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
BTW I don't know what solder you use but lead free silver solder joints don't look as nice as regular solder.
Looks affect sales, not sound.

Leadless solder has always sounded better to my ears and you can make it look good too.

Cheers,
Old 26th July 2003, 12:10 AM   #39
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The key to bliss is bismuth.
Old 26th July 2003, 12:12 AM   #40
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
The key to bliss is bismuth.
100% Yes....Especially for heavy metal fans.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!