Craftsmanship and engineering - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2003, 07:07 PM   #11
Beggar is offline Beggar  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seangoesbonk
I changed all the capacitors in my microwave to Black Gates, and now all my food tastes WAY better!!! Hooray!
Lol nice one dude,

Yeah i think that everyone is different, how people percive minor changes to an amp etc are going to vary from person to person, and to be quite frank let them!

Personally i am really happy that i cant tell the difference between tiny changes in amps, means im less fussy and dont worry about things too much, but really this is a case of live and let live

Well thats my thoughts on the topic
Old 25th July 2003, 07:19 PM   #12
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by seangoesbonk
I changed all the capacitors in my microwave to Black Gates, and now all my food tastes WAY better!!! Hooray!

and I heard that those BG caps make hotdogs taste like deep sea shrimps.
Old 25th July 2003, 07:38 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Personally, i care for looks almost as much as the sound. In fact, i've always had a pretty good idea on how i want something to look like long before touching a solder gun, and spend quite a lot of time on paper to know exactly how to arrange things how i like. For example, right now i'm in the final stages of a DoZ for headphones, which is a small steel box with a cooper front. I had to do a LOT of thinkering to fit two boards, a sink, a transformer and all the connectors in there, and i'm not even done yet.

Still, i always try to use quality parts, partially for the sonics (you won't find tantalum caps in an amp of mine ), but mainly because they're simply of better quality - this translates into longer life. OTOH, i also use a lot of recycled parts... this DoZ uses some poly caps and connectors from broken computer PSUs, and that's just the amp board itself.
Old 25th July 2003, 07:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Craftsmanship and engineering

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerontius

How could oak v. maple possibly make a difference?

You can't hear a difference between a wood and maple case or an amp suspended by a single madagascarian silk fiber in a vacuum.

2 inches of hookup wire in a case or 2 feet of hookup wire in a power umbililical can't, and do not, have a "sonic signature". They just don't.

My advice is to get a basic electronics book like "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill.

Oak and maple have different mechanical properties, if excited by an impulse waveform, would they vibrate differently? If so, would they damp differently? Would they sound be different? Is it possible that the sound in a room could cause the case of the amplifier to vibrate? If so, would this blend in a good or bad way with the sound of the speakers?

Silk suspended amp... ...could sounds in the music excite the silk string, causing vibration? Thus exciting other sounds?

I have seen where the length of a wire changing by more than a few inches caused a device to operate or not. Could inductance by the added length of wire, or resistance change the circuit enough to cause instability? Would poor PSRR combined with wire layout cause feedback? Could this feedback be damped, where it would only cause a damped oscillation, adding the spectrical content with only high slew rate signals and not pure tones. Would this sound differently, depending on the music?

Horowitz and Hill page 712 address care about cables for a digital system. (If a computer cares about crosstalk in a cable, I would think an analog amplifer would care even more!)

I have seen circuit boards, with different layouts operate differently, even when they contained the exact same circuit.
Why is this, after all the IC's were identical, and the designers made them to be the best they could be!The "The Art of Electronics" is just that, and Art. Not an exact science. As much design goes into a good board layout, and good cabinet design, as does a good circuit design.

The point is, it's good to be skeptical, but it's also good to keep an open mind. If it sounds like B.S., take it with a grain of salt, but don't dismiss the idea completely. Ask yourself some quesitons. How?, Why?, What if? You may be surprised.

Food for thought!
-Dan

P.S. Anyone every build the same speaker cabined out of solid wood, vs particle board and compared the sound?
Old 25th July 2003, 08:13 PM   #15
Account Disabled

Default Re: Re: Craftsmanship and engineering

Quote:
Originally posted by dkemppai
If so, would this blend in a good or bad way with the sound of the speakers?

The answer is absolutely "yes", unqualified.

But, can you hear the difference?
Old 25th July 2003, 08:44 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Interesting, i don't insist preaching to the deaf, but why are they so insistent in making us appear deaf too?
Old 25th July 2003, 08:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
Interesting, i don't insist preaching to the deaf, but why are they so insistent in making us appear deaf too?
How is he making anyone appear deaf? He simply asked if it was audible. A reasonable question given that not all that we might perceive is due to actual audible stimulus.

By the way, why are you insisting that others are deaf?

se
Old 25th July 2003, 08:55 PM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Come again?
Old 25th July 2003, 08:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By the way, why are you insisting that others are deaf?
Am i? I know you are not, but you won't be caught dead sharing a subjective experience, right? As it doesn't tally well with the theory
Old 25th July 2003, 09:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

subjective experiences tally perfectly well with psychological theory. i think that's the point.

Hide this!Advertise here!