Supply caps location in Bridgeclone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2003, 05:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Supply caps location in Bridgeclone

Hi folks,

I need a little more power than a simple GC offers, so I'm considering to build a bridgeclone with two LM3875.
I've built many GClones (the inverted config ones) with capacitors near the IC and they sound very nice.
However I read in another thread that for a paralell-bridge configuration the layout would be different, arranging the power supply capacitors in a more convencional way (a bank of them) and distributing the supply with cables from there.

But the case of a single bridge amp.(just two ICs) lies in-between, right?

So, how would be the best aproach asuming we use a single transformer for the two IC?
1-Mantain the capacitors close of each IC or
2-Transforme-bridge-capacitors and then -cables-IC-with local small capacitor bypass?
thanks for any clarification on this.

Ric
Old 25th July 2003, 05:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Even if I used multiple chips, I don't see a reason why not use main caps directly beside ea. of the chips? They do this even with regular amps., Mc Cormac comes to mind, where PS capacitors are located close to output devices for better performance.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th July 2003, 05:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Another thread

mainly because in a recent thread about paralell-bride the chips an alternative view was offer by another forum menber and I fail to understand the reasons.

Ric
Old 25th July 2003, 05:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here's a nice explanation of bridgeclone wiring http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthrea...855#post181855

The main reason for that is to avoid any ground problems, I guess. But I would try with local 1000u caps first, and then, if the problems occur, use one, central capacitors bank. It just seems to me that those chips will work better, when caps are sitting directly on the supply pins

I would use star wire technique though, from main rectifiers to the chips, not a buswire.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th July 2003, 05:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Rowland

That was the thread I was refering to!.I guess Rowland uses the "bank" configuration in his massive 6 chip Paralel-bridge configuration.

Still, I'll try with the "Clone" config for this little 2 chip bridge.

One thing that makes sense ( thanks for the tip) is to star connect the signal grounds and the non inverting input of the two amps together and from them connect to the power ground.

cheers

Ric

Hide this!Advertise here!