Controversy regarding Bridged Amplifier power output - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2012, 03:59 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Bridging 2 similar amps will certainly produce 4 times more power into a load than what an individual amp produce into the same load seperately...! The term "4 times more power" must be seen only as the ratio what a load get when connected in bridge to what it get when conncted single endedly. Dont compare the total power of two single ended load to one bridged load. However, the fact stand true only if ;-

1.The power supply is capable to maintain its rail voltage at increased (double) current demand.

2.The output stage of each amp in the bridge is designed to handle half of the nominal single ended impedance.
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:27 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensoosai2527 View Post
Bridging 2 similar amps will certainly produce 4 times more power into a load than what an individual amp produce into the same load seperately...! The term "4 times more power" must be seen only as the ratio what a load get when connected in bridge to what it get when conncted single endedly. Dont compare the total power of two single ended load to one bridged load. However, the fact stand true only if ;-

1.The power supply is capable to maintain its rail voltage at increased (double) current demand.

2.The output stage of each amp in the bridge is designed to handle half of the nominal single ended impedance.
I can't follow stevensoosai2527's argument too well until items 1 & 2 which, as a X2 power person, I agree with. But such an amp must be rare. It would be capable of operating safely, without distortion or risk of smoke at double the spec on the label.
Consider the replies if someone posted on this forum the following question.
"I have a 100w RMS MAXIMUM amp - into 4 ohm MINIMUM load. Can I get 200w RMS by using a 2 ohm speaker ?"

Or muse over this. A 100w/4 ohm amp could be considered to be a 100w, 20v rms ac generator. But if you had two 120v ac, 1Kw petrol generators and connected them in series (and synchronize them appropriately) would you have a 240v 4Kw generator ?
Does not common sense tell you the answers ? It's a case of not seeing the wood for the trees methinks when bridged mode comes on the scene.

If I've understood it correctly, Earlier in the thread it was suggested that a bigger transformer might help an amp reach X4 power. In my, admittedly limited experience, amplifier output transistors/chips are the most critical, vulnerable components.

Finally, an apology for resurrecting an old thread but I read all 91 posts with interest. A thread which started with a quote from Wikipedia which had it right to start with.....Well I would say that wouldn't I...I wrote it

Last edited by hugo_zair; 22nd November 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!