Proximity of volume control to chip in IGC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2003, 03:31 PM   #1
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Proximity of volume control to chip in IGC

I seem to be thinking of nothing else but Gainclones these days

My latest thought is to wonder how beneficial it may be to have the pot/attenuator as close as possible to the chip in an inverted GC design?

Anybody got any thoughts on this?
Old 24th July 2003, 05:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

my related question is how much "harm" if any, is to have the pot further away from the chip? since i don't plan on using a connecting rod like peter's commercial product I am likely to move my pot to the front panel instead of it's current position at the rear panel. Also, should I have the input cap and resistor close to the pot or close to the chip?

thanks,
Jack
Old 24th July 2003, 05:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

the shortest path is always the best in most cases but I dont think 6 inches of sheilded wire is going to make any kind of sonic difference in the audio spectrum.....in RF design this could create problems

DIRT®
Old 24th July 2003, 05:36 PM   #4
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

It depends. I built a proof-of-concept gainclone and was not happy with that 6" of lead. I was using a 100K pot. With that much resistance it is a problem waiting to happen, in my opinion, but it all depends on where you live, shielding, # of computers in your house, etc.

I built a couple others with <1.5" leads and was much more pleased.
Old 24th July 2003, 11:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Proximity of volume control to chip in IGC

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
I seem to be thinking of nothing else but Gainclones these days

My latest thought is to wonder how beneficial it may be to have the pot/attenuator as close as possible to the chip in an inverted GC design?
When I was working on the design of my GC, the main idea was to eliminate any wiring inside the amp completely so I could only hear the parts. My recent experiments indicated that the 2' of PS cable introduced it's sonic signature. In one of my amps, I also tried to use solid core silver wire for p2p connection (3 pcs 2" long and used for grounding) and I also heard the difference between the amp using silver wire and the amp with copper wire.

So my answer is that it will probably be detectable if you use a wire to connect potentiometer or place it very close to the chip. It's not also that hard to do as you can use extention shaft.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th July 2003, 01:09 AM   #6
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

My latest cab design will have pot positioned around .5 inches from pin#8. The cab is 8x5x3" (golden ratio)and the H/S s are mounted vertical in silicone filled groves.The only drawback i can see at this time is the 3" length from the input to the channel selector then another .5" to the pot(which is the grounded version we have discussed).I have finally decided on the cab being solid oak .5" thk.as i cannot find any acrylic or lexan in the color(gloss black) that i want.
And YES Nuuk the pot pins will be attached LOL.Thanks for that tip man, i never thought about losing ground.
ron
Old 25th July 2003, 01:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
How far are PS caps from IC's pins? And may I suggest maple for the case. I think it sounds better than oak.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th July 2003, 02:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Question Is this wrong???

Peter, I often see you commenting on the minutiae of audio nirvana. I honestly don't question your ears, but are you with sincerity saying a maple chassis would be better than oak? I am trying to learn and am still at the level that Black Gate vs. Panasonic is not an obvious choice, so I wonder is maple vs. oak more critical???

Seriously, I respect the opinion of the forum contributors, but I sometimes feel that you guys are joking.

With complete sincerity, is maple vs. oak a real concern. If
I missed the joke and am being the stooge for that, I understand. I really want to know, though. I just want to build some stuff that is quality.

Sandy.
Old 25th July 2003, 03:20 AM   #9
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
i am going to STRONGLY second the comments of sandy.
Old 25th July 2003, 03:36 AM   #10
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm doubting it was a joke, Peter seems rather serious abot such issues .There a many threads aurguing the validity of such claims, it's better not to start a new one out of this one.

As for the distance of the pot from the chip, think of this, is it important that the 10k resistor on the input be close to the chip? If you think so then you should place the pot close as well, because the pot is also in the feedback path and adds to the 10k value depending on it's position (anything but full volume) and acts i nthe same manner. As for if it makes an audible difference... Well, that's up to you...

Hide this!Advertise here!