chip amp as art form?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone making chip amps into art or art into chip amps? As I embark on my first LM3875 I am leaning towards making it unique in appearance as well as functional. So with that thought in mind does anyone really think quality of output would be drastically affected by having the chip 6" from the rest of the components?

Thanks in advance
Jon

most chip amps are slow enough that 6" could probably be managed to not immediately burst into oscillation with attention to the wiring - but it would be an effort with no electrical performance rewards, only downsides

I think some of the point-to-point builds right on the chipamp's leads look really good visually

This is something I have thought about on more than one occasion. Not chip amps necessarily, but electronic devices. The basic idea would be to solder together some leaded components into some kind of free-form (or representative) 3-dimensional structure to produce some kind of working device, then enclose the whole thing in casting plastic.

Obviously there are some problems, such as heat dissipation and any part failing would mean the whole object was scrap.

Then there's the fact that I consider the vast majority of such attempts at 'art' to be a waste of effort. As far as I'm concerned art must have some kind of emotional impact on the audience, which I've experienced myself when listening to music, reading literature, or viewing sculpture, or what is more conventionally thought of as art, paintings and drawings and even some photographs. Somehow I don't think a bunch of components, no matter how deftly arranged, are going to hack it on that level, but maybe that's just a failure of imagination on my part.

Anyway, in the end I just stuck to making more conventional electronics in the form of PCBs, which can certainly be considered to be a craft, if not an art form.

Good luck anyway if you decide to have a go, there's no harm done even if all you produce is a novelty.

w

Thank you Steve, and I'm guessing you didn't see the latest pics yet;)

Attachments

• p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 210
  • p22.jpg
    p22.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 199
  • p33.jpg
    p33.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 202
  • p44.jpg
    p44.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 198
  • p55.jpg
    p55.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 197
DSCN3504.JPG

This is what I was thinking, I was going to put the IC inside illuminated with some fiber-optics. Then I was going to put the rest of it under the jar in the gang box. It has 4 exits I could use for PWR in, Audio in, Audio out, & Attenuator. I have all this crazy junk around & thought it may look interesting......

Personally I think Peter Daniel's Patek amp is something of a work of art.

A very, very nice object. Not quite up there with an old Leica though, and even they didn't qualify as works of art in my book. What some photographers did with them, that's another matter...

Louis Sullivan said:
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic,
Of all things physical and metaphysical,
Of all things human and all things super-human,
Of all true manifestations of the head,
Of the heart, of the soul,
That the life is recognizable in its expression,
That form ever follows function. This is the law.

w

Bob Dylan said:
...It takes a train to cry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.