Lowest voltage noise dual JFET op-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The lowest noise dual JFETop-amp that I can find is the OPA1642 with 5.1 nV/root-Hz of voltage noise. I need the low current noise too (it's 0.6 fA/root-Hz for the aforementioned op amp).

Does anyone know of a lower voltage noise dual JFET op amp? I know there are lower noise dual op amps, but all that I've seen have much higher current noise than my application can tolerate.

Oh, I'd like one that runs with +/- 15 volt supplies too.

Other spec I need is at least 10 MHz GBP.

Regards,

Ken

Attachments

• fetampnoise.png
    fetampnoise.png
    37 KB · Views: 982
Thanks,

The AD743 has too high input C for my application, otherwise the 2.9 nV/root-Hz is attractive. The high C increases the noise gain of the first stage.

My application isn't audio, it's a transimpedance amplifier that's used to amplify a photo diode. I need ultra-low noise for this application. I attached a schematic to this reply. It has a unique topology in that I use two capacitors to multiply the photodiode AC current by a factor of 30, noise-free. I get a total effective transimpedance of 41 MOhm, but only get noise that's equivalent to a 1.34 MOhm resistor.

Gain peaking occurs around 1 kHz and the Vn starts to become a problem because the noise gain of the op-amps starts to get large. Current noise needs to be low too, so a JFET (or CMOS) op-amp is the only choice.

Ken

Attachments

• DIY_TIA.bmp
    88 KB · Views: 290
you might seach photodiode transimpedance bootstrapping

I remember seeing descrete jfet Q in front of op amp photodiode transimpedance amps

I need to spend some time to see if this paper's bjt cascode/bootstrap is a good idea http://www.electrooptical.net/www/frontends/frontends.pdf

also you shouldn't let Vsupply prevent you from using the best op amps for the applicaiton - higher speed processes are lower V, you can make a compostie op amp circuit with a 2nd hgier V output chip if you need the Vout

Last edited:
Hi,

Hi,

The lowest noise dual JFETop-amp that I can find is the OPA1642 with 5.1 nV/root-Hz of voltage noise. I need the low current noise too (it's 0.6 fA/root-Hz for the aforementioned op amp).

Does anyone know of a lower voltage noise dual JFET op amp?

Sounds like you need to use a NE5532 with a pair of discrete dual J-Fet's type 2SK389 (Toshiba) or LSK389 (Linear Systems) and make a hybrid.

This should manage < 1nV |/Hz J-fet Dual. Only needs the dual J-Fet and 3 SMD resistors added per op-amp, survivable even in a confined space, SMD versions of Op-Amp and J-Fets are available.

Ciao T

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.