Transformers and other Newbie question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2003, 07:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transformers and other Newbie question

I have decided to go with a 225VA or 300VA Plitron xfmr
should I go with 12 volts (225VA) or 15 or 18 (225 and 300). My speakers only handle 10 watts max. So would lower voltage give me better sound quality but with less output, that I couldnt use anyways? Or am I going to low (12v) and should stick with 15v?

I have decided to go with four seperate diodes to make my own bridge which schottky's from Digi-key or are the High Speed Soft Recovery FRED diodes from Michael Percy good? Is a 4 amp rating enough for each diode?

There are so many different types of 1000 uf Panasonic caps which one? I will probably be purchasing them form Digi-Key, if that matters.
Old 19th July 2003, 07:36 PM   #2
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NaftaliG
I have decided to go with a 225VA or 300VA Plitron xfmr
should I go with 12 volts (225VA) or 15 or 18 (225 and 300). My speakers only handle 10 watts max. So would lower voltage give me better sound quality but with less output, that I couldnt use anyways? Or am I going to low (12v) and should stick with 15v?
IMHO, 2*18V, 300VA for stereo amp

Quote:
I have decided to go with four seperate diodes to make my own bridge which schottky's from Digi-key or are the High Speed Soft Recovery FRED diodes from Michael Percy good? Is a 4 amp rating enough for each diode?
IMHO, no big difference, 4A for one amp

Quote:
There are so many different types of 1000 uf Panasonic caps which one? I will probably be purchasing them form Digi-Key, if that matters.
Look in thread "Decent, reasonable GC caps/resistor survey:"

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!