looking for 1st timer amp project to power adire kit 281s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently finished my Kit281s and I bought a Kenwood 4090 which is rated at 120w x 2 @ 6ohms stereo and 80 x 5 @ 6 ohms in surround mode. The stereo mode sounds absolutely fantastic... deep bass... lots of depth and nice highs.... but when it goes into surround mode the speakers sound flat.... I'm guessing the 80watts isn't enough power. Where would be a good place to start and a good amp to build for a newbie with a limited budget? Just need it to be 2 channel to compensate for the drop in power when the receiver isn't in stereo mode.

Thanks,

Rob

Kilentra said:
I've got those speakers also and I'm willing to bet a chip amp won't have enough power. They are difficult loads and inefficient. A paralleled Gainclone may work.

I'm using this amplifier, but it might not be a good idea for someone with little experience (myself included) to build: http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/downloads/symamp.pdf

i'll try over in the solid state board i guess.... are yours the TL version and are you satisfied with them? I love mine, but have not heard many speakers above about $2k. What I have heard around $2k though.... mine blow them away.

rob.

I guess I am not exactly sure what you mean... I have 5.1 channel RCA pre-amp outputs suited for an external amplifier. These wouldn't work??

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought that the Kenwood was an integrated amp!

My only comments then would be to make a non-inverted chip amp but I would have to bow to Kilentra here who obviously has expereinece of driving your type of speakers.

Not so much, I've had the 281s for almost 2 years now, and I tried three different amplifiers: an Audiosource integrated supposedly better in quality than a receiver, the Pass Zen V4, and Holton's symmetrical amp. (I will be bi-amping with the latter two amps.)

I have the vented/overdamped version and they're wonderful although I have no experience comparing them to other speakers, I understand and sort of wish to improve on their problems. But that's OK, since I will never "buy" speakers again.

The Audiosource amp (100 watts or so) could be pretty impressive, but it would run out of steam too easily - and the sound wasn't quite as clear even at lower volumes. I would expect similar problems with a receiver, though you might not notice them until you put in a stronger amp and they're gone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.