Is LM3875 chip waterproof? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2003, 08:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Is LM3875 chip waterproof?

I'm working on a new project, where GC chip would not be mounted to the heatsink (after reading pads thread I have some reservations about mounting the chip to piece of metal) but would be immersed in copper cylinder filled with water or some other fluid. My question is if this will effect the chip in a long run? I would be using an isolated version of a chip.

There are possible advantages to this approach of heat dissipation, mainly better damping and avoiding vibration pick up from the chassis. It is also more original way of building an amp, as I promised the members of AA to come up with something refreshing and original
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th July 2003, 08:41 PM   #2
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

I think that the chip is water proof. You'll just have to take care about the pins. They musn't touch the water!
Or use a dielectric (like oil)
Old 17th July 2003, 08:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So, if using oil, the pins can touch it?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th July 2003, 08:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Or use a dielectric (like oil)
And it has a better damping factor too.
Old 17th July 2003, 08:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Of course not. You trust dielectric absorbtion of oil? Great risk of contamination, especially long term.

cheers
peter
Old 17th July 2003, 08:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Some oils have dielectric properties that isolate upto 23KV/mm...think that should be good 'nuff?

Cheers,
Old 17th July 2003, 08:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Any fluids that are "pins" friendly?
Old 17th July 2003, 08:46 PM   #8
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Most parts today can withstand cleaning with water..BUT...they need very often to be dried in a oven for quite some time.

Normal plastic (epoxy) absorb moister (failure eventually) so I unrecommend this! Maybe if you use some insulating fluid, oil but the idea seems not to be very good.

You could make a tin box of copper, brass and then sink box down in the fluid. Make it completely fluid proof.

As answer to your question: NO part is water proof unless the datasheet tells you so.
Old 17th July 2003, 08:54 PM   #9
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Peter,

Are you sure that the heat dissipation is better like that? Sounds to me that it would be worse than when mounting with pad on sink. I suspect hotspotting would be way worse. Obviously I don't know for sure, it just seems logical, to me at least, that it would be way worse.
Old 17th July 2003, 08:56 PM   #10
fedde is offline fedde  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to fedde
Kewl, a gainclone that's running on oil ;-)

Watch out though that certain countries do not get interested in your oil though! Also, watch out for excessive volumes or your amp will explode

But now more seriously:

I think that it's risky to use oil or water on the chip. Even if the pins are not in the fluid, they will be during transport of the amp. Though what you COULD do is to make a metal box filled with oil (and closed well!) and mount the chip on top of it. The resonances of the metal will be damped by the oil and the heat of the cheap will be dissipated quick by the fluid. Though maybe the thermodynamic effects of the fluid will also cause resonances...

Fedde

Hide this!Advertise here!