Are Discretes Better Than Chip Amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.................or this.

Both designed by Kaneda.

Attachments

• j3.gif
    j3.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 469
Steve,

If you look at the schematics you don't see a comp. p and n channel (driver) as in typical quasi comp. designs. The outputs are of the same type and are driven by opposite phases of the second diff amplifier........maybe it is not a true quasi comp. but the goal is still the same.

Regards,
Jam

jam said:
If you look at the schematics you don't see a comp. p and n channel (driver) as in typical quasi comp. designs. The outputs are of the same type and are driven by opposite phases of the second diff amplifier........maybe it is not a true quasi comp. but the goal is still the same.

Ah, ok. Yeah, they're being driven differentially. Not sure I'd call that quasi-complimentary. At least not in the sense that the phrase is typically understood to mean.

My point wasn't that you couldn't build an output stage using the same polarity device, but that in what's typically understood to be a quasi-complimentary output, you still have a complimentary device controlling one of the output halves. So even if both of your final output devices are N-type, one of them is still going to behave as the P-type that's driving it.

So no bubble burst. But I do have this nasty blister on my thumb you can have a crack at if you'd like. :)

se

Konnichiwa Capslock San,

capslock said:
No comments on this? Hey Thorsten, you were the first one here to advocate quasi-complementary. Do you really feel these output stages are superior to a well-matched complementary pair?

Bear baiting, eyh?

Yes, I maintain that a Quasi complementary stage maintains better symmetry UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS. For example, the slewing of the output stage will be symmetrical as will be the signal related beta drop, as all of these parameters are controlled by the power device.

Having had the chance to compare truely symmetrical N-Channel only Amplifiers against "complementary" ones in Pro Audio applications, plus also quasi complementary ones there is not the least doubt in my mind that the best solution is fully symmetrical (circlotron), followed by quasi complementary and then complementary. Of course, around 70% of the issue is still around implementation, not devices.... And of course, my experiences are 10 - 15 years out of date.

Sayonara

My original intention in posting this question was to get as much and as many practical tips as possible. But, as it always happens, the discussion has turned very technical. It is no ones fault, but less experienced members like me feel left out.

There is an interesting article by Doug Self in one of the issues of that British Journal (Wireless ... something) in which he actually discusses quasi- and fully complementary topologies. I remember him saying that most fully complementary schematics are only complementary geometrically and not much is achieved over quasi-complementary designs.

The proof of the pie is in eating it. So, at the end of the day, what does it hear if you played a musical piece with the widest possible dynamic range?

r_s_dhar said:
My original intention in posting this question was to get as much and as many practical tips as possible. But, as it always happens, the discussion has turned very technical. It is no ones fault, but less experienced members like me feel left out.
It IS very technical :att'n:

Two huge differences are monolithic and matched parts vs. not and good PNP transistors (discrete) or bad integrated.

Those two things are very important and complicated issues.

So the answer will be: No, but it depends what you are after.

peranders said:
I have read even closer and the part isn't monolithic, it's a hybrid... and expensive.

What? Didn't you read? It says "Prices now discounted when purchasing through eStore!" It's only $492.19 for the regular version and $639.86 for the A version! :) Oh, and thylantyr didn't say it had to be cheap. :)

As for it being a hybrid, I'm still not sure just how literally "chip amp" is intended to be interpreted here. Does the chip need to be silicon or can it be ceramic? They're both integrated circuit power opamps. Just add a few external parts, a power supply and you're done.

Can we get a ruling on this from the judges? :)

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Looks like I either build an OTL or a Mig jet then

Some people enjoy their 6C33C OTLs already...what's keeping you?

I wouldn't know how to build a Mig though...:scratch:

Clever little bugger though, thanks to the valves...

Maybe we should put that 2A3 amp under scrutiny first?

Beaten by a chip....???

Sure enough, I am teasing you...;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.