Noob: GC Potentiometers...which? where?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The main problem of most pot is the center lead is just a wiper and it contact may give different resistance value.

Try this and you may get the different. Get two good resiators (helco, vishay, caddock), connect one between the upper lead and the center lead, the other between the center lead and the lower lead. chose the right resistance value. Eg if you have a 50K pot, try 25K to 40K resistance.

I am using a modify series shunt step attenuator. It cost mush less than the ladder attenuator.

Parry

Well, I built a 12 step shunt type attenuator based on the resistor values that Thorsten recommends and it works fine with my inverted Gainclone.

I don't find the steps too coarse and I can listen as quietly as I want, or as loud as I want.

Cost is about 12UKP depending on what resistors are used.

If people cannot hear the difference between a shunt attenuator and a pot, I am very surprised! You just don't get the extra level of detail with a pot.

I don't build the GC, base on the notes post, it has 10k or 20K input resistance. you can test by using 500K,100K or 50K pot and
you select the best sound (volume and quality) and take note the position of the volume control position. Then you measure the resitance from the upper lead of volume control wrt center lead. Buy two good quality resistor of closer value and soldered it between upper lead and the center lead of the volume control. This effectively lik connect two resistor as voltage diivider with control by pot to a most stable resistance value offer by the static resistance chosen. Now you test again, I belive you will hear the different. This is what I do on my modify series shunt attenuator using Vishay and helco resistor.

Parry

I don't build the GC, base on the notes post, it has 10k or 20K input resistance. you can test by using 500K,100K or 50K pot and
you select the best sound (volume and quality) and take note the position of the volume control position. Then you measure the resitance from the upper lead of volume control wrt center lead. Buy two good quality resistor of closer value and soldered it between upper lead and the center lead of the volume control. This effectively lik connect two resistor as voltage diivider with control by pot to a most stable resistance value offer by the static resistance chosen. Now you test again, I belive you will hear the different. This is what I do on my modify series shunt attenuator using Vishay and helco resistor.

Sorry, I don't understand. :confused: My shunt attenuator is just a number (12) of voltage dividers, each one consisting of two resistors.

Are you saying that we should replace the resistors in the most used positions with better quality alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.