Meanwell SMPS and LM3886? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2010, 05:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Meanwell SMPS and LM3886?

Not being that good with electronics, I'm having a bit of a time getting my head wrapped around this. I was thinking that I could use two of the Meanwell 24v 350w supplies to get the V- and V+ to power a pair of LM3886 based gainclones. One, would this be enough amperage for both LM3886 amps and two, can I actually get the V- and V+ from the two Meanwells SMPS? I am thinking yes on both counts but, my mind is mush at the moment and I'm not that good at this type of thing anyway. Thanks for the help.
Old 19th November 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

ask what short term peak or transient current the 350W units can provide at 24Vdc?

Each 3886 is specified as having a minimum peak current output of 7Apk.
A pair could demand 14Apk on fast transient signals.
The 3886 is also specified as having a typical peak output current of 11.5Apk. That comes to 23Apk for a pair.

I would expect a pair each with a short term output of ~350W to 550W to satisfy a two channel chipamp.
Old 19th November 2010, 06:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrew. A pair of these is what I am looking at. http://www.meanwell.com/search/s-350/S-350-spec.pdf Protection looks to kick in at "105 ~ 135% rated output power" so I don't know if this will effect transients or not. The other thing is that I doubt that I will be pushing the LM3886 amps at their limit.
Old 19th November 2010, 07:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You should check, whether there is an internal connection between V- and PE. There usually is one and that means you would have to modify one of the supplies to form a split supply.
Old 19th November 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No idea if there is a internal connection between V- and PE. I haven't ordered anything yet and no schematics to be found on the web. If there is a internal connection between V- and PE, would it be an easy mod? Possibly, someone else can take a look in theirs and see. Like I said in my OP, electronics are not my strong suit.
Old 19th November 2010, 07:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It is an easy mod, because you only have to interrupt the connection, but you lose warranty and you may inadvertently impair safety.
Old 19th November 2010, 07:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificblue View Post
It is an easy mod, because you only have to interrupt the connection, but you lose warranty and you may inadvertently impair safety.
I have no problem with that. So I will end up with a 350 or 700 watt supply?
Old 19th November 2010, 11:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMP LUMP View Post
Possibly, someone else can take a look in theirs and see. Like I said in my OP, electronics are not my strong suit.
I have a Meanwell SMPSU - its not identical to yours being only 200W, 24V. I just measured it so it looks like pacificblue is blowing smoke - no connection between PE and V-. I have SMPSUs from various el-cheapo sources and none has this alleged connection to my knowledge. I'd have shorted half of them if it were true as my scope ground is often connected to 0V and I run two as +/- supplies.
Old 20th November 2010, 12:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

That would be nice if the one I am looking at are like that but if they are like what Pacific is describing, it doesn't sound like the mod is much to do. Either way, it's do-able. Now, how to do it is another question. V+ from one to V- on the other with that being the 0v and the V+ and V- that are left being just that?
Old 20th November 2010, 12:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Yep, that is exactly how I've wired mine (non-Meanwell as Meanwell are more expensive here). I'd not recommend opening up an SMPSU to do any mods, especially ones related to safety grounding.

Hide this!Advertise here!