TDA2030 Upgrading - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2010, 12:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TDA2030 Upgrading

I want to make some changes in my tda2030 2.1 computer speakers. There is two 25volt 3300uf capacitors on supply. I want to change them with 50volt and 4700 or 10000 uf. All other capacitors are polyster except three capacitors of 220nf 224 on Three tda2030 are ceramic. Can i change it to polyster. I can understand that they used so much polyster capacitors in my speakers but y only these three capacitors on IC are ceramic. now tell me please that can these three changes produce any effect on sound?
Old 4th November 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

ceramic capacitor of 224 is between +v pin and ground
Old 7th November 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
ampimp is offline ampimp  United Kingdom
Banned

Changing to the larger value electrolytics May improve the bass but are more likley to have a negative effect on the mid range area. The ceramic capacitors you mention are to decouple the tda. You could replace them with film type as they are only low cost and see if you notice any diffrence. To be honest i think the low cost and quality speakers used will mask any improvment to sound quality.
Ian
Old 7th November 2010, 11:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I've played with cheap actives based on TDA2030s (they cost me under 20UKP the pair) and found substantial improvements from changing the grounding. Did not bother with any other changes except improving the series tweeter cap.
Old 8th November 2010, 05:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

inseting 10000uf caps really disturbed the Mid and improved bass so much. Ampimp :P
Old 8th November 2010, 07:09 AM   #6
ampimp is offline ampimp  United Kingdom
Banned

Default try it

i have noticed a big diffrence in midrange when using larger caps for smoothing . the mid seems to loose its edge with larger caps. some people bypass the electrolytics with a film type cap i have tried this on a nummber of occasions over the years and can say i did not notice a worth while improvment in fact most of the time the mids got a little harsh and the treble brittle.
regards Ian
Old 8th November 2010, 08:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampimp View Post
in fact most of the time the mids got a little harsh and the treble brittle.
That's exactly how my TDA2030 actives started out, which I originally put down to ultra-cheap drivers (tweeter especially). But rejigging the grounding got rid of 95% of the harshness.

Hide this!Advertise here!